HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hanalima 'Ia Ukulele Construction Manual (Read 7550 times)
Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hanalima 'Ia Ukulele Construction Manual
Jan 5th, 2005 at 10:52am

Hey all, I plan to order my copy soon but was wondering if anyone has already got one.  If so, what is your initial feedback.
Thanks,
Dominator
www.rockslide.org/ukulele_tab.html

IP Logged

Lance Larsen

Re: Hanalima 'Ia Ukulele Construction Manual
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 10:40am

I have a copy and I like it! It's spiral bound, so you can fold it over on itself to save space on your work bench. The pictures are very helpful and there are a lot of tips that will help you avoid common mistakes. The quality of the book is good. Now all i need to know is where to get some large pieces of spanish cedar or Hon Mahogany. Hey does anyone know where to get good wood from? I used to go to Martin and McArthur for some of my other projects; however, it seems that there prices are going up. Any suggestions? Thanks

IP Logged

StringDoc

so many ukes to build...so
little time

Colorado Springs
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 4:21pm

Here's where you can get some good wood!!

Stewart McDonald, LMI, Allied Luthiers,  Notable hardwoods.  Woods come oversized and you still have to sand them to the desired thickness!

Hope this helps!

Nate
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2005 at 11:27am by StringDoc »  

IP Logged

Roger Carter

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 9:09am

I recieved my copy today. It looks like it is going to be a very useful addition to my luthiery library. The pictures and diagrams are very clear.

IP Logged

Bob Uke-er

Turning expensive wood
into noise!

Chicago, Illinois
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 8:42am

WinkHi Dom,
Got my copy of the new Hana Lime 'Ia uke construction manual a couple of days ago. I have a pretty big library of uke, guitar and mandolin construction manuals plus I have downloaded everything I can find from the 'net. This manual is great. It's clear, easy to follow and shows many of the tricks of the trade in use at Hana Lima that I just couldn't figure out from those little pictures on the website. It'll be a mainstay in my shop.

Uker

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 4:14pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.  It is definately on my list.
Dominator

IP Logged

obmissy

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 7:47am

I have Mike's construction manual.  It is fabulous. I am just now to session 9 and have had no problems following his instructions.  I have even constructed all the jigs he has mentioned.  You can build them all just from the descriptions and the pictures.
I did have one problem...i kept cracking the sides when I tried to bend them.  I called Mike and he told me my sides were too thick and that they should be around .075 thick.  I tried this and now I am an expert side bender.  I also went back in the book and sure enough it says in the book that the sides need to be around.075. So that was my mistake not the books.
Ihighly recommend the book.

IP Logged

Bob Uke-er

Turning expensive wood
into noise!

Chicago, Illinois
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 12:19pm

It also seems to help if you sand the sides inside and out to 150 or 220 grit before bending. Sides seem to crack along rough areas. Also, I've found that too much water promotes cracking - I only use a spray bottle of distilled water to make steam. It's the steam, not the water that lets the wood bend without breaking. Or maybe it was just dumb luck Undecided...

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 11:25am

aloha guys...mahalo for the book reveiws...da next up-coming project is 'Ukulele jigs and helpful tools....am in the midst of this new project and it ought to take me forever...but its a fun project. I get to make everything all over again for suitable pictures and illustrations.

laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 2:42pm

Hey Ukeman, your new Ukulele Jigs book sounds great and will be a valuable tool for all of us.  My little bonus for last years day job work effort came through and so I placed my order for the new manual and got some tuners while I was at it.  Can't wait to till it arrives.
Thanks,
Dominator

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 5:01am

I wish I had bought it before my first uke project rather than halfway through. It is very well produced and very readable. I liked the format of a text description and then a short reference page with pictures of the described steps (don't know if that makes any sense but if you get the book you will understand). The spiral binding is great. I didn't follow it all exactly but I really liked the idea and layout of specific sequential steps. The order of tasks is not what you might first think but it definately gives a heads up that doing something in an earlier step that seems out of sequence will later turn out to save all sorts of effort. That is basic wood-working dogma and it is always good to learn the lesson again. It is exactly what it claims to be (a rarer thing all the time these days) which is a course instruction manual for a specific style (spanish neck joint, fan braced, tenor uke) instrument. I think it will become a "must have" on the shelf of not only uke builders but luthiers of all sorts. Well worth the money!!!

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:46pm

Aloha All!

Big kine Mahalo's for you comments on our Hana Lima 'Ia Construction Manual for the 'Ukulele. We feel good here at Hana Lima 'Ia getting replies via telephone and e-mail from first time builders who have successfully used the Manual and have finished Tenor 'Ukuleles from scratch. Blows our minds because this is not an easy feat! Yet readers have made bending jigs, moulds, heel nibblers etc. just from the pictures in the book and via following procedures have successfully built 'ukuleles! We also have had comments from other seasoned builders who have used the book to build their first ever Spanish Style construction! I Honolulu the manual is also available at your local branch libraries so you just need a library card! We are indeed grassroots, only via our website or at Native Books and Things can you purchase this manual!

Mahalo and mahalo for your support! "jes press", laters  ukeman

IP Logged

pumpkin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 12:12am

Hey Ukeman, your new Ukulele Jigs book sounds awesome, when do you think you will be done with it? I want one!
Thanks,
-Ryan

IP Logged

Louman

Ukulele Lover!

New Jersey
Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 5:10am

Is the jig Manual done?  I would like to get it.   Smiley

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 4:41am

Mike & Asa:

Please let us know when the Jigs and Helpful Tools book will be available.  While many of us have built many of the tools it will be great to have a book dedicated to this important topic.

Adding to the book request, do you expect to have a construction manual available soon for building a kasha braced uke?

For those of you commenting that the construction manual is missing some details remember that it was written as an in class guide for students that were being taught by an expert (Mike) and he was providing those details as the class went along.  It is us, the home builders, that have taken this great book and expanded its use to allow us to build ukes at home.

The wonderful thing about this forum is if you don't understand something -- just throw your question out there.  You will get a ton of help and others will fill in the gaps for you.  Its like having hundreds of "little Mikes" out there to answer your question, and every once in a while the real Mike will respond and clear everthing up.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us