HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood for Soprano Neck (Read 1605 times)
Robert

Wood for Soprano Neck
Apr 15th, 2005 at 8:58am

Hello everyone,

I have a piece of poplar I would like to use for the neck of a soprano uke. Would poplar be ok to use for a neck? If so should I add a stiffening rod to the neck or would poplar be stable enough alone?

Thanks
Robet

IP Logged

Jawhny

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Wood for Soprano Neck
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 10:10pm

For Poplar I would think you need a  a truss rod. It's relatively soft and reacts badly (twists/bows) in moisture. Never used it for a truss rod but have built a few jigs with pieces that I have lying around

-JC

IP Logged

rpon

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 2:40pm

Hello again everyone,

I thought I'd post a follow up to the poplar neck question. I waited for a while but never got a reply to my question so I went ahead and made the neck. I capped it off with Hana Lima Ia's rosewood finger board with no added truss rod and after one year the neck is still straight with no sign of twist or bow.

The finish of the poplar had a ugly green tint to it so I ended up painting the neck red. (The only paint I had), I don't know which is uglier the tint or the paint.

It sounds ok and was my first home made soprano uke so I'm happy.

Robert

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 7:45am

Hey Robert,
Good to hear from you again.  I'm sorry your post was over looked, I would have agreed with Jawhny to be safe....but sometimes you just got to go for it.  I'm glad everything worked out!  What are you making next?  Grin

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 4:52pm

aloha robert....first off a belated congrats on your first completed uke....hurray!

poplar should be ok if it was dried properly...many finish carpenters and cabinet makers use this wood for its availability and straightness and workability so as a neck material should be no problem...great working wood as it mills and sands easily.

i guess your own question was answered anyway and time doth verify things.....anyhow i think it was awesome to go ahead and build even tho you had questions as the experience will be always the best teacher....again congradulations     ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us