HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TUNERS (Read 1670 times)
DocTom

Ukes are cool!

TUNERS
Jun 4th, 2005 at 8:19am

I am working up to building a uke. I have a Brueko tenor that I thought I'd chage the tuners on. I ordered tuners from Hana Lima 'ia and changed the G and C tuners only to discover that the strings on the tuner posts are higher from the head stock than before and especially the C string will hardly stay in it's slot at the nut. This headpiece and neck are one piece. There is no fingerboard. I think the the headpiece may have less angle that most ukuleles

I guess that I should plug the hole I made for my new tuners and reinstall the friction grip tuners the uke came with. I welcome any advice and comments.

Tom

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: TUNERS
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 2:45pm

aloha  Doc tom...here's a couple of ways to mayhaps make those gotoh minis work for you...

1. Wind the strings with more string slack and wind the excess string down the shaft to lower the sring angle more to the base of the shaft.

2. Re drill the shafts with a second hole lower than the original string hole...the tuner shafts are easily drilled witha steel bit.

hope this helps...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 5:34am

Good ideas. I'll try. It's like duh! why didn't I thinnk of that?

Tom

IP Logged

DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 7:43am

OK! It worked. I feel dumb that I didn't think of such a simple cure. I took one of my dental drills and made an extra hole in the shaft.

Mahalo,

DocTom

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 9:08am

Tom, glad it worked out for you.  I have a similar issue that will require another step in addition to drilling new holes. 

I want to replace the tuners on my tenor.  The Grovers that I used when I built the uke required me to have a very thin headstock.  I still don't know why this was.  I probably should have just used longer screws but ones that came with them would not thread into the mating piece until I made the headstock narrower.  Caused me to sand almost all of the headstock overlay away.

Ok, so I have some Gotohs that I want to put on but the large post that fits into the hole in the headstock measures 3/8" in length which is the same thickness as my headstock.  Problem is that when screwing on the threaded bushing it bottoms out leaving about and 1/8" gap between the washer and the headstock.  So I guess this means that if I really want to try and install the Gotohs on this uke I will have to saw some of the bushing off to make them shorter. 

Am I an the right track ukeman?  What is the minimum headstock thickness required for the Gotoh minis?  I think your manual calls for 7/16".
Mahalo in advance,
Dominator

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us