HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
purpose of soundhole patch (Read 1537 times)
rich celley

purpose of soundhole patch
Aug 5th, 2005 at 7:22pm

Aloha from central Minnesota. My questions: what is  the purpose of the soundhole patch and, do I need one at all on a tenor uke if I'm not doing any sort of inlay around the sound hole? If it's actually for bracing can I just use a sort of "A" bracing ala some of the Martin guitar patterns of bracing? Also, while I'm here typing, if I want to do two smaller soundholes instead of one in the center do I use two patches or a central "A" type arrangement for that? Any advice will be taken seriously and much appreciated.

IP Logged

Jawhny

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: purpose of soundhole patch
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 9:49pm

The sound hole of a uke is a structural liability. Imagine this scenario start with a uke with no sound hole, then apply the physics of the uke.. the strings of the uke when tensioned are such that the the uke will want to fold in half due to the stresses brought on by the strings tension but the wood has a ballance of opposing force based on a lot of factors but for the sake of argument lets say the the string tension and the uke stregnth are perfectly egual..say 40 lbs of string tension with 40 pounds on uke resistance...ahhhh the picture of harmony

Now...take out a hole saw cut a big hole in the front of the uke, (the sound hole) that uke just got a whole lot weaker.

Question how do we restore harmony to the chaos caused by the hole saw?...

The sound hole patch!

Understand, This is NOT the only option. You could use a clever bracing system (as in the case of Keola Beamer's duals ound holes supported by x bracing.   However depending on the bracing and how it's designed that you more often than not lose volume, or tone or both etc..

Hope that helps

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 3:42am

Thanks so much for the help. I was pretty much leaning that direction and glued it in yesterday but very nice to have that confirmed. Odd how things that should seem so obvious sometimes seem the least.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 1:34pm

Aloha guys....I like to imagine uke building as a continual balance between free vibration and yet integral construction so that the instrument will continue to improve over time and not fail in structural integrity. Always the dance between materials and personal ideas but toward the same goal..the production of great sound! It helps to picture the uke in its entirety as an oscillating system, beginning with the strings...the starting points, nut and saddle and your plates, sides and neck system. Each component must work together to couple with your string tension, produce maximum vibrations and yet withstand constant stress.  with (bars,and structural supports). Your own ideas and with the help of all this free shared information makes building ukes a cool life pursuit.....so like Nike saus "just do it"   laters   ukeman

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 11:11pm

Groan! Now we even have spammers posting under past topics.   Oh Well.  Sad

I did want to make a comment about the double puka design. If anything the two soundholes would seem to be better structurally and phonically. The sound hole opening would be spread between two smaller holes instead of one large one. This would increase the structural integrity of the top as it no longer has to support the greater diameter of a single large central soundhole and is allowed more wood to support the two smaller holes. In addition, the holes could be placed high on the upper bout and that would leave much more soundboard available to produce vibrations. My guess is that you could probably get away with pretty light bracing for the two sound holes since the top would be stiffer on the upper bout anyway. I would also think that you would have a much lesser chance of the top sinking from pull on the bridge because it would have much more supporting wood between the bridge and the holes.

Philip

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us