HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Standard/Pineapple hybrid thoughts... (Read 1206 times)
Jawhny

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Standard/Pineapple hybrid thoughts...
Aug 8th, 2005 at 9:32pm

working on a design for my third prototype Uke and it will be a hybrid. This will be the baseline uke before begining the ardiuous journey to make it better by building more and making singular tweaks on each. The goal is to create the ultimate nahenahe Uke in low G tuning.

It will be as follows, height and upper bout size of a Tenor, The lower bout is larger like that of a baritone , the right hand (treble) side has the standard waist shape. The left side (bass) is the shape of a pineapple tapering from the larger baritone radiused bottom to the smaller tenor radiused top. The bracing system is going to be the challenge.

My thoughts on the lower bout will be fan braced with six asymetrical braces extending from the bridge patch  down inspired by Jose Ramirez and Miguel Rodriguez guitar bracing. These guitars are based in center sound hole designs so I have to get creative on how to deal with this and this is what I need your opinions and expertiese on.

I will be using a side port so I have a big "canvas" to work with and no sound hole support issues on the soundboard. Suggestions? ... variations Kasha   Wink

-JC

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Re: Standard/Pineapple hybrid thoughts...
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 7:14pm

You should check out some of the stuff Fred Carlson builds

http://www.beyondthetrees.com/

All his instruments are asymetrical and there's some pictures of the bracing on guitars and harp guitars on his site.

You could also consider a lattice style bracing.

Another option would be to draw from nature and our little orb weaving spider friends and come up with a radial brace pattern.

I'm assuming you're doing just 4 strings, so without a soundhole on the top, you probably don't need much bracing.

Owen

IP Logged

Jawhny

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Standard/Pineapple hybrid thoughts...
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 8:55pm

Nice link I wonder how they sound? They look beautiful. The bracing is a bit extreme but I suppose he had to get creative with that odd shape.

I've cut the mold for the side bender and holding molds today I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us