HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creative Staining (Read 1988 times)
EmilytheStrange

Creative Staining
Aug 13th, 2005 at 6:35am

I plan to build a ukulele kit for the first time, and don't know much about them. I have thought of some ideas to make it more original, and one is to make designs on the top by using more than one stain.

I am not sure if this would even work, but if it could, I would appreciate help on which kit would be best as well as which stains and how to go about staining.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Danny_Boy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Creative Staining
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 6:49am

That is a brilliant idea! I'm not positive how to do it, but I sure hope it works!  Grin

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:15pm

Interesting idea. Are you thinking in terms of sunbursts, or more like using stains as a tatoo artist might use inks? I'd guess the challenge will be in controlling the stains so they don't run together too much. Much like working in watercolors on paper perhaps. Let us know what happens. I'd think you'd want a spruce top, though mahogany certainly comes in some fairly light shades as well.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2006 at 12:44pm

Aloha All...gosh I am so glad some of you out there are steering way over the lines! These ukes are awesome ways to get your creative juices flowing on both sides of the old grey matter. Ya can get way out there or not in brace design, shapes, scale lengths etc. as well as the many paths to creative inlays, designs, shapes and colors! My advice is to get your building experience down, understand scale and acuracy, setup and playability and then unleash the grey matter!  The only rule is that rules are made to be broken. The best thing about the instrument is that when we are finished we get to see the result and hear it as well..instant feedback..keep what works and expand on it and push the envelope once more....cool   people...laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Erfunden

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:42am

I know of one fellow who tried using different color stains to produce and image on a piano bench.  It was very hard to control and the stains kept bleeding into each other.
He couldn't get it to work and eventually decoupaged his design with tissue paper.
It actually turned out subtle and rather nice.  You can read about it here if you want --> http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/symphony2004/symphony%20art%20project.htm

I'm not saying it can't be done.  Just practice on a piece of scrap before you try it on your uke!

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 7:23am

There used to be a line of gelled stains which would be much easier to control. I used them on trim molding fifteen years ago but they may still be available. I think the brand was Varithane or Flecto.

Good luck
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us