HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New nut for a greenie (Read 1152 times)
DocTom

Ukes are cool!

New nut for a greenie
Sep 25th, 2005 at 8:03am

I have an all koa uku I bought here in Oregon. It is very nice but the nut spreads the strings unevenly. So here are my questions:1. Where do I buy a new piece of ebony for a nut? 2. How do I remove the existing nut? chisel? saw (very carefully)? Pry it? 3. What adhesive should be used?

Thasks,

Tom

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Re: New nut for a greenie
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 1:30pm

O00h goody, repair work! ;D  Hi there DocTom.  My suggestion is this: build a masking tape dam around the top of the existing nut, fill in the slots with black epoxy, let dry overnight, reshape the top of the nut and cut new slots in the right places. If that doesn't work for you  I'd say find some dark hardwood somewhere locally and dye it black with an ebony stain, shape it and tack it on with a little drop of wood glue on the center of the bottom. You can probably remove this one with a little rap with a small hammer on the end of the nut. use a nail or a little piece of a 1/4" dowel or something as a punch.

It isn't hard to get right but it amazing how many crappy nuts are sent out on otherwise nice instruments of all sorts. Nutwork is important and needs some care to get right. Getting it right makes a big difference in getting and keeping correct tuning and action. It isn't hard though so go for it and have fun. Good luck.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us