HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternative Strings & Cheap Tuners ?'s (Read 950 times)
Todd_Korup

Representing OZuakee County,
Wisconsin!

Port Washington, WI
Alternative Strings & Cheap Tuners ?'s
Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:12am

Hi all,

I am looking for help / suggestions for a workshop I am going to be teaching.

Here's what I need:
Does anybody have a good source for "bulk" strings? I am trying to find something very cheap, even looking at fishing line of the right diameter. I need something comparable to the "C" and "E" strings of a Soprano. This is for a simple 2-string canjo/ukulele (along the lines of the simple cigar box guitars/ukes of the depression era)

I also need to find about 15-20 sets of cheap tuning pegs.

I know...we are all always looking for the cheapest price on our supplies. But I am not doing this for my own pocket, I'm trying to keep costs down as low as I can so I can provide these kids with a little instrument building experience for very little cost to them, and show them that virtually anyone can build a fun instrument, with not alot of fancy tools or expense.

I have an opportunity to teach a group of about 30 home schooled kids some basics about instrument building. I will show them some of the "real" ukuleles that I build, as well as some of the "fun" instruments that can be home built. I have a stand-up washtub double bass with weed-whacker strings, some tongue drums, and various ukuleles built from cans, cigar boxes etc... The focus will be primarily on ukuleles and the basics of building stringed instruments.

As a workshop I will help the kids build there own 2-string fretless canjo/ukulele that they will be able to take home with them (and hopefully spark an interest in ukulele or instrument building of some kind). I will provide the basic "kit" and they will do some layout, drilling, simple shaping and assembly. The whole thing will only be about 2-3 hours long.

If anybody has some helpful input on cheap strings and tuning pegs, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Todd
"The Uker of OZ"

Todd&&"The Uker of OZ"

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Alternative Strings & Cheap Tuners ?'s
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 3:13pm

aloha todd....hmmmmm....for tuners mayhaps get in touch with your grover distrinuter...they make an inexpensive friction tuner....for strings...with a bit of trail and error fishing line is an excellent choice...tho  stick with Flourocarbon lines...best made and trued and still a cheap cost once you get your diameters correct for your preferred tunings...check out a set ofuke strings..measure existing diameters for each and try flourocarbon substitutes in smaller or larger diameters and pick the ones that you like...ok  hope this helps  laters and aloha  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us