HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glue for a nut (Read 2138 times)
DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Glue for a nut
Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:18am

I'm sticking my toe in the luthier pond by replacing the nut on my ukulele. Will regular white glue do since the string's tension will hold the nut in place?

Tom

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Glue for a nut
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 3:09pm

aloha tom...keep that toe in the water  best way to get wet is to get on in!  Actually most builders do not glue nut onto fingerboards...they rely on 2 things...tension of strings breaking over headstock angle...and more importantly an addition of a headstock veneer which creates a seating space for nut twixt headstock veneer end and beginning of fingerboard...most factory ukes are not sold with headstock veneer plates so to keep nut in place they add a small drop of titebond....this is cool too....nuts sem to be replaced more often than you think so its important that it can be removeable..ok  hope this helps, laters  ukeman

IP Logged

DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:50am

Hey ukuman,

Thanks for the help. I'm chomping at the bit to get going and hoped maybe a bit of white glue might work.

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 2:39pm

Yes, white glue will work fine. Just a little (and very thin) dab in the center will do it. the glue only needs to keep the nut from slipping side to side, it isn't needed to hold the nut down. I agree with Ukeman, if there is a channel between a plate and the fingerboard you shouldn't need any. If there is a channel and you think the nut is too loose in it then just make sure you only get the glue on the bottom of the nut. You don't want to damage the end grain of the board or the head plate if you have to remove it again in future.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us