HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fingerboard width (Read 1538 times)
DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Fingerboard width
Oct 24th, 2005 at 1:18pm

I have a friend who has great big hands.  If a fingerboard were made say, 1 3/4 inches wide at the nut and shaped appropriatly going up he fingerboard towards the box would that change the acoustics of the instrument? Anybody have and experience whith something like this?

Tom

IP Logged

DocTom

Ukes are cool!

Re: Fingerboard width
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 1:54pm

I forgot to mention.....considering a tenor with a wider fingerboard

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 1:55pm

aloha doc tom....changing fingerboard widths should not  effect the acoustics of your instrument....your fretboard end will still remain above the soundhole and will not detract from soundboard vibrations...the cool thing about custom building is that you can alter your instrument to fit your needs...so go get em!   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Yo All, Since we were on the topic of fingerboards thought I'd add a few more cents to the pot!

Many builders are also now radiuing the fingerboards akin to acoustical guitar fingerboards...feels right nice.

Many builders also bind their fingerboard giving the finished fretboard a cool perimeter trim so to speak. Usually of a contrasting wood these bound boards are pretty cool. You do need to trim of the tang ends of each fretwire prior to insertion...Stu Mac has a end nipper cutter for sale especially for this treatment of fretwire...worth purchasing.

As mentioned earlier, fretboard widths are a matter of preference but a word of caution...to an experienced player a slight change in string spacing will effect their playing. If the change is made for an order or for yourself...all is cool!

Also remember that when setting the baby string it is preferable to inset the string about 3/16th's from the fingerboard edge..if spaced to close to the edge, players will complain of the gutterball...press the baby string and the string slides off the fretwire ends.

hokay...laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2006 at 8:19am

Aloha All,

Just had some other thoughts on fingerboards tahat i thought I should pass along.

Again fingerboard widths maybe a matter of preferences ..although in actuality the first fret width of a standard, tenor and baritone uke vary only by 1/32 nd of an inch....the standard is the 1/32nd of an inch less wide. The baritone and tenor are usually the same width at 1 and 3/8th inch.

The overall neck thicknesses and shape will also effect the feel of the fingerboard..so thickness of neck and width including fingerboard is important yet varies!

A last hint on installing fretwire:  when cutting the depth of the fret slots cut a tad deeper than the fretwire tang is deep..best to have a little play while seating the fretwire..the extra depth can be filled during the finishing process..of if binding your fingerboards..problem solved.The extra depth of cut will help the fretwire seat way easier.

I've been radiusing my fingerboards asof late..small kine radius but feels really good when playing...remember if radiusing your fingerboard...you have to cut the slots even deeper to allow for the radiusing of the board..yup then you can install fretwire.    laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us