HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aloha from Tucson, AZ! (Read 4707 times)
Gary_Pak

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Aloha from Tucson, AZ!
Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:02pm

Hi everyone!
   Brand new to the group( as of about 15 min. ago), and almost as new to the art of building a uke.   I have been intrested in the sounds of the islands and especially the uke for many years. My passion is woodworking.  I work as a trim carpenter and have done many custom projects including a 18" telescope (my other passion is astronomy). I also know how informative user groups can be when adding to your list of passions.

Which brings me to my question(s).

My wife and I are coming to Maui this Thursday (Thankgiving) and will be staying a week. Can you recomend any shops or individuals that I can contact to learn as much as I can in my short stay?

Mannnnnnnnnny years ago I played some guitar and really enjoyed the 12 string for the rich and full sound it maid. Because of this I'm drawn to an 8 string tenor uke. Is it harder to build/learn/tune to play?

ANY comments woud be greatly appreciated,

Mahalo
Gary

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Aloha from Tucson, AZ!
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:20pm

Aloha Gary,
Hopefully, you can check this from Hawaii since you are probably already on your way.

Stop and see Ken Potts of KP Ukulele.
He is in Lahaina, Maui.  His phone number is
808-667-0759.  His ukes are not inexpensive but they are no doubt worth every penny you will spend.
Good luck,
Dominator
http://www.ukeland.com/dominator/
Your source for a wide variety of ukulele tabs

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:19pm

Never built an 8 string. There's about 12 lbs of tension per string, so the 8 string tenor ukes will have about 100 lbs of pull on the bridge. The strings will be pulling on the back of the bridge, so bracing will need to compensate for that force, or you'll find that the top will be lifting a little behind the bridge and dipping a little in front. It's probably best to do a fan or lattice style brace pattern with an 8 string. Also, reinforce the neck with either a carbon fiber rod, or laminate a piece of ebony into it to prevent any long term warping from that extra tension.

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 4:39pm

Yo Dominator,
I just checked out your blog, and I think its cool.
I really enjoy Jake Shimabukuro's music.
I was wondering if you would be able to offer any help to a fellow Ukulele player wishing to learn some jake songs.
I have only been playing a year and a few months, but I learn fast.
If ya feel like helping me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Bob Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us