New Uke! (Read 825 times)
rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
New Uke!
Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:26am

Just in time for the holidays I've finished this to go with my Martin Dreadnaught. AAA Claro Walnut b/s, Engelman top, tortoise shell binding, Gotoh open back tuners, maple heel cap, modified Kasha style bracing, tru oil finish. I just thought a cat looking into the really big hole might be interesting and everyone seems to like it. It plays very nicely, very punchy and loud midrange as I expected with the walnut, very balanced, very... ummm... strummy! (is that a word). I didn't really like the sound of the high strings as an octive set so I made those a pair and left the 3rd strings an octive. Sounded better to me then. It's good to not have rules! The wood came from Bruce Creps at notablewoods.com.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rcelley/album?.dir=1da2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.do...

I hope the link works OK. Thanks for all the great info that shows up in here. Next project is another four string fan braced Uke in figured mahogany, sitka top, ebony board and bridge, ivoroid binding, amber tuner buttons, with plan to "red" up the mahogany a bit to punch up the grain definition.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us