HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soprano Plans? (Read 1786 times)
zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Soprano Plans?
Jan 18th, 2006 at 8:45pm

I am looking for plans for a soprano ukulele. This will be my first build, so it should be a good fairly detailed plan. Also what are some good books to get (i have some guitar ones) I have been reading and researching for about  6 months and am ready to dive in I have wood on the way (spruce/maple) and am gathering tools and such.

any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Zac

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Soprano Plans?
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:17pm

Zac,
I recommend you purchase the book from the online store right here at Hanalima.  Here is the link.
http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/Detail?no=62 This is a very good book.
Good Luck,
Dominator
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008 at 9:52am by Hana Lima Ia »  
IP Logged

zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 5:02pm

Yeah thats on my list to buy I found some plans at ukuleleworld one is for a martin style 1.Any other books you guys can recommend? Ive seen two other ones at other web sites but have not heard anything about them

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 9:20pm

Hi Zac,
We have a set of Soprano Fan Braced plans in the works right now.  Hope to have them available soon.
-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 4:02am

I think that if you really want to build a nice instrument and have confidence in what you're doing yoshould buy Hana Lima's book and those other two. Then, before you touch wood with tools read them until you are very familiar with the process in general, the style you want to construct (as regards bracing, neck join etc.) and the sequence of steps you will use. Then ask questions here about things you don't feel you understand. Then launch in and do each step as well as you can with the tools you have and enjoy learning from the mistakes. My first uke sounds great in spite of my bumbling. My second is awesome and I've just ordered neck parts for the third to replace the one I destroyed by trying something impatiently that just went badly. Mostly, enjoy the process, be patient, ask questions, remember that plans are only guidelines and oh yeah...welcome to the club!

Rich Celley
IP Logged

zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:18am

Thanks Guys

I bought two different plans and have plans to buy one more and If its out before I start the hana lima plans too. I do plan on buying all three books I am leaning right now toward box style, mostly because the plan I like the most (martin style 1) is that style but well see as I read more. I am gathering the tools and wood right now but wont be building till I am ready. I bought the wood because I want to give it time to settle before I use it . I am doing lots of reading before I start I have been practicing on a friends beater guitar  Wink

Thanks
Zac

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us