HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you add bindings after finish (Read 1804 times)
konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Can you add bindings after finish
Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:16pm

Would it be difficult to add bindings to a completed instrument that is finished with Tru-oil? I was just wondering if it would ruin the finish completely or if it could be touched up and still look good.

Thanks

Philip

IP Logged

zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Re: Can you add bindings after finish
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 5:56pm

What kind of glue are you going to use on the binding?

dont know if I know the answer but  Ill give it a shot .

Zac

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:09pm

I'm sure what I will use as this is for the future.

Philip

IP Logged

zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 8:02pm

the glue is probably the only thing that would cause problems or at least the most problems.HHG might work something that is not going to react to the oil or soften it would work. but I think it would be alot of work and some careful masking to keep things looking half decent.

Good luck

Zac

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 8:33am

Hi Philip,
The tru-oil finish is nice because you can add new coats and everything blends together with the old. 

After sanding the binding flush you will have to refinish the surrounding areas.  With an oil finish you can work that area with out having to sand down the entire instrument and refinish as you would with lacquer.

You will want to mask the soundboard and back as zac suggests.  If you are cutting your binding channels with a router the base will probably scratch your finish.
-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:57pm

???  I have a question about binding.  I'm building my second Uke; an all Koa Kasha Concert.  I'm going to put tortise shell binding on it but I don't know if I should put it on before or after I sand the Uke.  I think that I should sand it before I cut the channels, then glue the binding in place and then clean it up.  Is that correct, or should I do the binging first and then finish sand it?

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 2:19pm

aloha all:

here is my take on the binding process questions:

First if you have completed an uke and finished it in tru-oil...yes you may decide to bind and it will be ok...however you will have to address the area nearest the heel on both plates since your trimmer will not be able to route to the heel area as the base will hit the fretboard first....just route as close as you can get and finish the rest of the cut via razor saw and chisel. A flexible plastic ruler will help redraw the channel to the fingerboard edges.

secondly...after all is installed, glued and sanded, you will able to refinish with tru-oil...if you get color differences in certain sections you will have to resand all surfaces to get a uniform color even it it means sanding to bare wood once more.The tru-oil coats are very thin so complete resanding is no biggie!

third: for those wanting to add bindings...best to always do your surface sanding first....add binding channels second and then do your sanding to level bindings. You can coat with tru-oil after all sanding and or scrapings are done.If any glue, super or titebond is left on uke surfaces the tru-oilo will let you know, you will see areas of no oil penetration...sand away till gone and reapply.

Just bear in mind tru-oil is very forgiving...easily sandable and receptive to refinishing.

laters, ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us