HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oval rosette routing (Read 4707 times)
logan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

oval rosette routing
Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:54pm

How do you rout an oval rosette channel, template or luck?                              

IP Logged

Bill Errickson

Re: oval rosette routing
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:37am

Hey Logan, I do these oval curly koa hand held mirrors with an abalone rosette channel. Template is definately the way to go. The most difficult part is cutting an exact oval template to match your intended oval. In my case, an oval mirror's dimension profile need to be duplicated. I cut out an exact larger proportioned oval out of masonite. I then fabricate a round plexiglass base to the dremel or laminate trimmer. It should be dead center of the bit. This allows you to travel around your template riding any edge of the plexiglass base as you cut. Although I usually mark a spot on the round base and try not to move away from it for precision. You just have to set up all of your distances in relation to your diameter plexi. base and how oversize to cut your template. The hardest part is probably cutting and sanding the oval template. I run a shallow router cut around the mirror itself to create the template pattern, using a portercable router's round base. That gives you a perfect matching profile. You now have to cut it out and sand your ?!@+'s off to get it right. Good luck.  Bill

IP Logged

Bill Errickson

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:41am

Logan, Depending on your application, Stew Mac makes a small aluminum jig to ride an already existing hole. In my case I'm routing around the perimeter of an existing oval recess cavity.  Bill

IP Logged

murray

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:49am

Logan,

I made a template by hand out of a sheet of plywood.  I copied the oval shape from my plans and enlarged it to the size I needed for the template.  I then cut it out, sanded the edges smooth and made a test cut, to check the size and shape.  I then made adjustments to the template, to get the shape as smooth as I could. Since I did everything by hand, she shape isn't perfect but its close.  My friends think that it gives my uke a little character, that it wouldn't have if the oval were machine cut and perfect. Here's a link to a photo of it.

http://www.hanalima.com/images/murray/murray_uke01.jpg

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 12:49pm

Aloha Oval Guys!

I do my ovals using an oval template cut into 1/2 inch plywood. I use standard Freud router collars and select each collar diameter and bit width according to what my oval application will be! The collar sets come with set diameter collars from 1/4 to 3/4 " wide allowing you quite a bit of choices to bit sizes and diameter combinations. The collars thread right on to your laminate trimmer or router base.

I paste a computer cut out of a few different size ovals and drill out the hole with a circle cutter (within the oval) then clean up the oval with an oscillating sander as best as I humanly can! These beome my templates. I either use the template to route out oval holes, or oval channels around an oval hole...I can use tyhe same pattern but alter the bit diameter or collar diameter till I get what I want.

You can also cut out an oval template the actual size of the desired oval soundhole...double stick in place..add an appropriate collar and bit diameter to your trimmer and using the oval guide the trimmer around the oval to make a rosette channel around your oval. Changing collar diameters or reducing bit diameters can give you multiple rosette channel sizes around your oval hole.

ok  probably makes no sense.....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Aloha Again:  Because oval soundholes are so cool I thought I'd drop another niclels worth of shop talk:

Easiest way to do an oval is via a template. The trick is to make that template accurate! So first start with a perfect oval a tad larger than what your actual oval size wants to be.....yes I cut multiple oval sizes, better two than one! My ovals are via the computer coutesy of my son Asa who is computer literate. I use 1/2 inch plywood birch and paste the ovals on using PhotoMount Adhesive (no bubbles)! I use a hole cutter to start the oval as large a diameter that I can ghet away with.. I then use an oscillating sander or via a dowel wrapped in 100 grit to finish the ovals as best as my eye can see using magnifiers and selective sanding.
You will be amazed how well these templates can be made and accurate too! Do not forget to have your printed ovals complete with hash marks or center crosshairs so exact horizontal and vertical centers of the oval are indicated. When your oval templates are complete make sure you transfer the centerlines on to the inside edge of the templates..that's four marks...use these to align onto the crosshairs of your soundboard when setting up for the channel routing. Double stick tape the template to the soundboard and you are ready to route!

Use the appropriate diameter collar over the selected bit router width and adjust the depth of cut on the router. Start from the top center of the template and making sure that the collar of the trimmer is always flush to the inside edge of your template at all times...clockwise and route away!!!

Same use of template making can produce cool soundhole shapes like the shape of the hawaiian islands take your pick of islands...poi pounders, and cool stylized honus (turtles). All ya use are the router collars, the selected bit width size and an accurate template.

There also is a oval drawing device available at WoodCraft Stores and via catalogues to make ovals smaller than 6". So now drawing the oval is no problem and all that is left is to cut and sand accurately....ok  laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 7:52am

Please check this post for more information and a sample template:

http://www.hanalima.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=shop_tips;action=display;num=...

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us