Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hand Tools Question (Read 1070 times)
zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Hand Tools Question
Feb 11th, 2006 at 7:14pm

Hi All

Has anyone used the hand tools from LMI for cutting the binding channel and the rosette? I think the one for binding is called a gramil? I  was wondering if they work and how well

Thanks
Zac

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Hand Tools Question
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 12:59pm

Aloha Zac in Ac...

For circular binding channels hand devices work real well! A popsical stick or tongue depressor with a guide pin acting as a center hole index and an exacto blade fixed into the edge of the stick at the appropriate diameter length will work real well! Keep the blade shallow use multiple spins of the stick and you will cut a cool score line...change sticks or adjust the blade length to a larger or smaller length to determine the second score line thickness and repeat the multiple spins...ya jes need an appropriate size chisel to hog out twixt the two score lines...try it on a scrap piece and you will be amazed at how well this works.

Using the gramil you do need a bit of practice....you have to keep steady and make shallow score line cuts else the blade has a tendency to wander....my gramil is in my special tool box..a cool tool but my bindings are all done with my laminate trimmer..ah progress and technology....tho as Ive used a laminate trimmer and or router for 30 years I am just more comfortable and aware of the tool.Thirty years with the gramil should have you cooking like the spanish and mexican custom builders ala gramil!

Ok have fun   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us