Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What about Oak? (Read 1295 times)
Bud
Ex Member

What about Oak?
Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:13pm

Hi Everyone,

Just curious, I havent heard anyone talk about using oak for ukuleles?
Is it too dense?
Not bendable?
Just wondering.. thanks for any input...

Bud

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: What about Oak?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:50pm

I have no direct knowledge about using oak on ukuleles but can pass on what others on a guitar luthiers forum say. Easy to bend and needs extra attention filling as it is very porous. They also added to be sure to use quarter sawn wood as flat can be a bit too floppy (at least on guitars). Martin even made some oak guitars as they liked it but don’t use it now. The consensus seems to be that the public is not too thrilled about buying instruments made of such a common wood. There were several who said the instruments sounded good. One bit of advice was to add some color to the finish.  Like maybe the darker amber shellac to give it a golden hue..

Good Luck

Philip

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 1:33pm

Thanks Philip,

Ill keep that in mind... just was curious.. you more than answered my question... I appreciate it.. Gracias....

Bud

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2006 at 4:32am

I have an acquaintance who built a small bodied guitar out of some very nicely figured oak, sort of quilted. Roughly a 00 size body. Sounded very bright, much like Maple, very punchy and midranged. I suspect from this it wouldn't be a bad wood at all for a uke used mostly for strumming. He did say that he wouldn't make another one because the finishing was, as has been alluded to, a real bear. Oak is very open grained and requires a lot of attention when you are filling it. He figured that for the sound qualities Maple, which requires (usually) no filling was a much easier wood to use even though it is a little trickier to bend. Also Oak, in my experience as a woodworker, is quite splintery, which means that its easy to tear out with power tools, and whether handtools or with power requires that tools be kept very sharp. Hope that helps. Good question.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2006 at 1:33pm

Thanks Rich,

I truly appreciate your input... I was curious... and with both the replys Ive received I believe my curiosity has been satisfied... heh...
I suppose if a person had alot of time and a tremendous amount of patience then the finishing aspect wouldnt be any big deal.. but with all kinds of woods out there without that problem like you alluded to the Maple.. why waste your time, right?
Gaining knowledge with each post read.... This is a good place to be...

Bud

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us