HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neck construction question/problem? (Read 1113 times)
redyak

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Neck construction question/problem?
Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:27pm

Hello,
I'm working on my first uke, everything going pretty smooth. I'm using the construction manual along with the materials kit from here. My question is, after scarfing the neck blank starting at 2-1/2" from the end per instructions, I used a taper jig on my table saw @ 15d. Glued the two pieces together and marked the nut line @ 3/16" from the break angle, marked the 9-7/16" to the 14th fret. I glued the heel blocks together and marked the 1-1/4" to line up with the 14th fret line. When I matched the heel block line with the 14th fret line, the end of the heel block is flush with the end of the neck instead of being about 3/4" in from the end like the photos on page 21. I doubt that its a problem, as the back of the block gets shaped to reduce mass(pg.37). Am I being paranoid? Or do I have a problem?
Thanks!

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: Neck construction question/problem?
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2006 at 8:40am

Hi Redyak,
Sounds like you're moving right along.  Yes, paranoia self-destroya!  You have everything correct so far, no problem. 

The heel-end of your neck blank will be carved down to reduce mass as shown on (pg. 45).  That extra bit you see on page 21 is waste, which will be cut away. 

Keep Building!
-Asa

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

redyak

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Neck construction question/problem?
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2006 at 8:11pm

Thanks Asa,
I thought I was worrying for nothing. Having a great time building this project. The quilted mahog and englemann plates look great, thanks for providing such good building materials. I'm a framing carpenter by trade, building projects like these are a great way for me to enjoy the other side of wood.  Not to mention my wife will hopefully get a real nice uke...
Thanks...
Al

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us