HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whats Slack Key? (Read 8369 times)
Bud
Ex Member

Whats Slack Key?
Jun 12th, 2006 at 7:24pm

I know this doesn't have much to do with Ukuleles, but I keep coming across Slack Key Guitar music and how its inherently Hawaiian... I was hoping someone could tell me a little about it if you know?.
I know its tuned lower than a regular guitar...
Thats about all I know..., the small amount of music that I have heard is beautifully haunting...
Can a Ukulele be slack key?

Thanks, hope this isnt too stupid of a question.. heh..
Roll Eyes

Bud

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Whats Slack Key?
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 2:14pm

Bud,

I understand what you are saying. My favorite music is slack key. I even attempt a poor version on my ukuleles but I’m one of the worst musicians you have ever heard. Seems to me that I remember a member here talking about playing slack key on the ukulele so keep watching and maybe he will chime in. The slack key players use a lot of different open tunings and create a base pattern to go with the melody. Here is a link that gives a historical view of how it came about.http://www.kahumoku.com/about_slack_key.htm All I know is I like it and love to see the musicians live. I was watching Dennis Kamakahi play one time and bang he broke a string. He nonchalantly kept a bit of a rhythm going while he reached up and retuned the guitar and then continued the song with 5 strings. Amazing!  It always amazes me when I see people who are genuinely talented. I’m going to be on Oahu for 16days in July taking the Hana Lima ‘Ia school and am hoping to catch some live music while I’m there. Funny thing is that most of the people I would like to see are playing on the mainland during that time. Wouldn’t you know that would happen?

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:20pm

Thanks Konacat,

I appreciate the link too... Wink
I envy you being able to take the class this summer.. I guess Ill have to save my denaro and sign up for a future class...
My wife has been trying to get me to take her to Hawaii for years. She visited Hawaii when she was a teenager.. In the 27 years weve been married Ive always ducked left and right when she would suggest it... hehe.. Shocked
Im the sort of person that needs to have a purpose when I do something, I mean, vacation and sightseeing is cool but if I have another reason tucked in there with the sightseeing Im one HAPPY CAMPER!
.. I have a super good reason now and I look forward to visiting Hawaii..
Ive found a website that has alot of slack key mp3s and in listening to it, Ive found another style of music to add to my LISTEN OFTEN column.
Very Awesome!

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Bud,

Check out the link below for Alohajoe.com.  This is free Internet radio with no signups or emails. Joe plays a wide variety of Hawaiian music including slack key, contemporary, classic, new, and old. In fact, I play a lot of online poker and play alohajoe during most of my games. The music also includes quite a bit of ukulele music too. One last thing, if you are really interested in the condensed class then I would try to do it next year. After all you never know when it may be dropped and it’s the only class offered in that short of time period.
http://www.alohajoe.com

Have fun

Philip

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 2:05pm

Philip,

Thanks for the link, Im listening as I type... nice to be able to access all sorts of music via the web...
I will have to look at the scheduale for the class next year... (My wife is totally interested in taking the class also, so what I would miss she would catch and visa versa)... and plan accordingly.. I put in for my vacation time a year ahead usually.. which can suck when spontaneous visits your house.... Or in otherwords... .spontaneous isnt allowed around here much.. Wink

Bud

IP Logged

Mr_Roboto

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2008 at 4:07pm

Actually, for those who know what they're doing, slack key is quite viable on the ukulele.  (I venture this knowing that I will likely irritate a guitarist somewhere.)

Check out Rev. 2.0 of David Heaukalani's "Slack Key Ukulele" book, or catch him on YouTube under "UkeUncle".

He produces the genuine article.  Even inspired me to write my own, basic version of "Opihi Moemoe" for my own study.  Don't write off the ukulele as a slack key instrument.  Dr. Heaukalani even includes a guide to authentic, Hawaiian tunings used in slack key music, but for ukulele.  (If you haven't heard the original, guitar version of "Opihi Moemoe", you should.  The same is true of "Ahi Wela", and "Hawaii Aloha", and "Samoe", and....)

If you like the sound of slack key on guitar, try Dancing Cat Records "Masters of Slack Key" album (the first one) or find one of Leonard Kwan's popular slack key albums from just prior to the time when it started to "die out", back in the "50s.  Just about any album by Keola Beamer is fantastic.  

I like to try simple little pieces (that I've been told tend to sound Japanese) with a low G, Aquila string set, because it gives the instrument a more legitimate bass note relative to the guitar, more like a baritone ukulele, and the strings start with more tension at normal tuning, prior to slackeing, so string slackening has less impact in terms of awakening any buzzing nut slots.

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008 at 6:55pm by Mr_Roboto »  

IP Logged

happy every day

Ukulele Lover!

We all know a story similar
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:04pm

From my point of view, World of warcraft Power Leveling, World Of Warcraft Gold being in a good mood anytime and anywhere is the first thing for those who want to be happy.here is an old saying going like this, World of warcraft Power Leveling, 'happy is he who is content.' I can't agree with it any more, WoW Power Leveling, I still remember a story my mother told me when I was a child. A millionaire tried every means to seek after pleasure but to feel unhappy. It's not unique, Age of conan power Leveling, but has its counterpart that poor men to whose name not having a thing always feel happy. Why are they so different? The answer is that the rich is being thinking how he can gain more while the poor is satisfied with what he owns at hand-health, Aoc Power Leveling, freedom, love and so on.
Furthermore, love makes great difference to happiness. If you have love in your heart, you will have happiness in your life.Love consists of two parts, one is to love others, Aoc power Leveling, and the other is to be loved by others. Lei Feng set a good example for all of us. He served the people wholeheartedly until the last minute of his life. He regarded serving the people as the happiest thing. There are numbers of similar inspirational stories to be found. In addition, being loved by others can also lead you to happiness. Courage from your parents when frustrated, Aoc Gold, care from your lover when ill, help from your friends when in trouble all of these will make you the happiest person in the world.

We all know a story similar

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 1:13pm

I saw Makana perform his slack key music this year on the 4th of July at Ala Moana, and he was awesome.
I like slack key music alot too, though I doubt I'll ever be good enough to play it.
Aloha
Bob

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:19pm

For those of you that like slack key guitar, try John Keawe's CDs.  John is from the Big Island and has a very beautiful approach to his music and has very quiet hands.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us