HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soundboard Material (Read 1328 times)
tachera

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Soundboard Material
Jun 25th, 2006 at 7:57am

im comparison testing different tonebar/soundhole configurations and wondering if anybody has experience using a synthetic soundboard material to produces consistant comparsison tests across different configs?  im guesing i could use just about anything like plexy glass or etc. but looking for a materal that might have descent acoustic properties.

much mahalos,

dave t.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Soundboard Material
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 10:35am

aloha kawika...interesting question and dead on the money...i guess in the true sense unless the subject soundboard is made of manmade controllable materials the soundboard consistency will always be suspect.

problem with plexi as a constant would be the need for amplification to generate and register changes in sound volumne and amptitude when testing for variables like tone bar dimensions and placements.also the inherent stiffness of the plexi might make the tone bar variables hard to pick-up.

think personally to test soundboard variable...baox can be consistent; meaning sides and backs and neck etc.

only variable is top....

then many tops at same species and thicknesses...test prior for sound and or stiffness (deflection) with weight and micrometer etc.

amass consistent stiffnesses. use these as test boards.
cut to exact sizes to fit premade box.

start with one constant..ie  bar patterns  couple same, couple different...or bar heights couple series tall other short etc.....install tops..test  remove , record and try again......sounds like a lot of work but i am positive the learning curve will be quicker than making a hundered or so ukes with no purpose in mind

anyhow just my thoughts     laters  ukeman

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 5:51pm

We have a friend making an all aluminum 'uke.  It plays fine, pretty loud actually.  The sound is completely different, but it's cool.  Think steel drum 'ukulele....

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 6:28pm

aloha kawika....

Asa is spot on....use aluminum thin sheets for a consistent soundboard with acoustical properties...relatively cheap, consistent and very acoustical, prepare for a wide smile. Should be a great testing soundboard material..around 1/16th thick should be cool....hope this helps   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us