HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Band Saw Blades? (Read 2253 times)
Bud
Ex Member

Band Saw Blades?
Jul 13th, 2006 at 2:15pm

I was wondering what is recommended in the way of bandsaw blades for Uke building?

I know there are basically 3 types of tooth shape,
Hook, Raker, and Skip....
Which should be preferred with the type of cutting we would be doing with Mahogany and other hard woods?
I know it probably depends on what type of cutting a person is doing... but Im new to the woodworking game and I dont have a clue as to the right application for the blades.... If anyone has time to give a bit of input Id appreciate it..
Thanks in advance....

Bud

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Re: Band Saw Blades?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:44pm

If you're doing resawing, Highland Hardware's Wood Slicer blades work great.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293

Thin kerf, so you don't waste much wood. Keep them clean and you'll be able to cut a lot of sets. Once you notice that the blade is starting to wander a bit as it dulls, replace it immediately since chances are that the piece of wood you're cutting is more expensive than the blade! I've used both the 1/2" & 3/4" versions. I prefer the 3/4" for resawing since I can crank the tension a little more, but the 1/2" is more versatile.

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Thanks Road_Toad,

I will definately check out that blade.... I was thinking more of what would be good for a general blade... for cutting the soundboard, back and such.....
Should the blade have lots of teeth or hardly any?

Should it be a raker style blade or a hook?

1/4" or 3/8"?

I have a 14" Grizzly bandsaw with a 3/8" blade, Im not sure weither its a hook style or raker, but I would like to know what to get for future use...

As far as resawing goes, Ill be checking into your recommendation thats for sure...

Bud

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 5:28pm

I won't be much help with that. I use a scroll saw with a 20 to 25 teeth per inch. for tops & backs- even my f holes. I would say maybe a 1/4" blade with at least 8 teeth per inch. I have a 3/16", 10 tpi blade that I've used once. It's too much of a hassle to change my 133" blades for the few times I need to get real curvy.

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 9:17pm

Road_Toad,

Do you primarily use your bandsaw for resawing?

Bud

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 6:23pm

aloha bud

you can also check on the internet for Timber Wolf band Saw Blades...Suffolk Machinery carries them and will give a nice discount on their blades which makes them 1/2 the cost of catalogue prices and very nice for us poor wood cutters!

1/2 inch and 3/4 AS blades are awesome and will do a nice job of resawing like the wood misers blades at a nicer cost! 

They carry many blades for general purpose and resawing including carbide bands....website is super informative and these guys are simply bandsaw folk worth checking out!We at Hana Lima 'Ia been using these blades for years without complaint, price is so good that i dont resharpen...jes throw em away when dull.....oh boy     better shut up now    laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:27pm

Bud, I use the bandsaw for resawing, ripping and trimming, but pretty much for straight cuts only. I'll cut necks out with it, but I'll drill a 3/4" hole with a fortsner bit to make the curve for the transition to the heel. I may need to start using the bandsaw for scroll work since the latest project is a semi-hollow baritone sized bass. I'll be sawing curves in 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" thick stock and the scroll saw works better with 1/2" and under.

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:49pm

Ukeman,

Ill definately check out the blades... Thanks for the tips..

Road_Toad,
again, thanks for the info.. anything you guys share with me is a bonus and a plus as it adds to my whole lot of nothing.. hehe...  Grin

I just got my supplies from Stew/Mac and Im now going to start finishing the two Ukes my father-in-law and I started a week ago.... cant wait to see how they turn out... I think Im really going to take my time sanding and laquering... I want em to be nice...
Thanks for the input on BS blades...

Bud

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us