HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transposing Guitar tabs to Uke (Read 3613 times)
Bud
Ex Member

Transposing Guitar tabs to Uke
Jul 21st, 2006 at 7:38pm

Ok, Im curious about this... maybe someone actually knows if this is so or not?

If you get a hold of a song that is tabbed for Guitar... and you take the two strings off on the left of the tabulature... your left with four...The four that correspond to the Uke? In thinking this through, I know that the soprano, concert and tenor strings do not actually correspond to the strings on a guitar...Hence the quandary.

Ive tryed this on a couple of songs and it actually worked... but I dont know if it would work all the time?
Any thoughts?
Any Input?

Thanks...

Bud

IP Logged

Mike_Pt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Transposing Guitar tabs to Uke
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 4:16am

Hi Bud. I've just signed up to this forum and read your post. I' ve been teaching myself uke for about the past 12 months and have just recently found uke sheets on the net. until now I've been trying to play songs tabbed for guitar and some sound ok (mostly Creedence songs and Don Mclean) and others just don't work. however, last weekend, a guitar playing friend showed me how to transpose some songs. If you take a given guitar chord, move up 5 semitones and you will have your uke chord (eg. C becomes F). This has worked for me so far with GCEA tuning. I'm not sure if its 100%, try it out. Someone with better music knowledge than myself might like to add to this post.

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 8:33pm

Thanks Mike..

I appreciate your responce...
and Welcome to the Message boards... Lots of Good info here, along with some very helpful ppl..

Bud

IP Logged

Treetop

oo-koo-ley-ley

Decatur, GA
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 2:17pm

I realize this thread has been inactive for a while, but here is a link to a downloadable "circle of fifths" which makes a spinning wheel thingy that you can use to transpose the chords, without all the counting.   Smiley

http://www.tikiking.com/tools.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us