HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fret slotting question ? (Read 1406 times)
kdmi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hawaii
Fret slotting question ?
Jul 26th, 2006 at 9:35pm

Aloha,
While slotting my fret board,  I positioned my fret board flush to where the nut should be.(this is on the template for slotting fret boards) Soooo, now I have a fret board that's missing the first fret. The scale is for a tenor 17". Is it still possible to use this fret board.

Mahalo,
                                                         kdmi

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Fret slotting question ?
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 11:42am

kdmi,

If it is for your own use and you don’t mind some imperfections then use the same fret board. You could always turn the fret board over and reslot. You would be able to see the original cuts where it would now attach to the neck. You could try filling the end of the original slots with a mix of sanded dust off the fret board combined with a slow CA or titebond so it won’t be so apparent. Or once filled you could paint the side of the fret board black. I think the best option would be to reslot the good side and then bind the fret board and that would resolve all your visual issues and save the fret board.

Regards,

Philip

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 3:56pm

Not real sure what you mean, but if you're just missing the slot at the 1st fret, you can manually slot it with a .023" kerf saw.

If you missed the zero position and actually made the distance from the nut to the 1st fret too short, you can always save the fretboard for a smaller scale uke. On a 17" scale, fret 1 would be 16.046", fret 2 is at 15.145", fret 3 is at 14.295" and fret 4 is at 13.493". 15.145" is close to a concert abd 13.493" is close to a soprano. Just cut it off at length you need.

IP Logged

kdmi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hawaii
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 9:59pm

Aloha,
    Thanks for the tips, I thought it was a total lost for fret boards. The worst part about it is I cut 4 fret boards before I realized it.
                                                    Mahalo
                                                        kdmi

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 8:33am

Aloha kdmi:

a policy and mantra we use at hana lima 'ia is to view every mistake as a creative learning opportunity. So in your case you can now see you have a variety of ways to resuse or correct the mistake. Another solution is to simply add on either the same kind, color and grain wood and extend the fingerboard adding a new 1st fret or add totally contrasting wood for your 1st fret extention.

Best way to add the extention would be to turn existing fingerboard over to bottomside slot a cut about 1/2 inch or so below and parallel to your 1st fret slot on the opposite side and chisel out a rabet....a half lap so to speak....do the same with your add on piece this time slotting from the front surface...you should end up with a half lap with its joint on the back of the original fretboard and still use the first slot cut yet have a new extention to actually now make a real firat fret!

If you use contrasting wood   cool....make the fixes...and reposition your fret jig and get your real first cut in....If you now bind your fingerboards the extention will look all sweet and ono! All framed and nice!If you dont bind..just cut your tapers and all will also look sweet.

ok it is just another thought....laters, ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us