HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fret board alignment.. (Read 1106 times)
Bud
Ex Member

fret board alignment..
Aug 3rd, 2006 at 2:11pm

I just noticed on the Uke that my Father and I were building, that the fret board is just a slight bit off in alignment on the neck..
My father was in a bit of a hurry to glue it up and get the frets installed before I had to go back home, we didnt have alot of time.. and when I look at where the nut goes, and how it aligns with the saddle I can see that Im going to have to remove a touch on one corner of the fretboard  to straighten out the nut so that it aligns with the saddle..
Its also a bit off on one of the sides.. as in excess over the neck, I can sand that down, but Im wondering if it will change anything tune wize?
It seems to me that all the frets will be slightly off now, not much but slightly... He used super glue with accelerator to put it on, (due to being in a hurry) So I cant really take it apart and clean off the glue and redo it.... Or can I? ???

Bud

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: fret board alignment..
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 9:08am

Aloha Bud>>>

Hmmm....You could remove the fretboard and start again and all will be right with the universe or you can modify or clean what is already afixed and live with the eccntricity. I do not think that the misallignment will effect your tone or note production if the misallignment is that slight.If you would like to repair though...

make a cardboard protector with a negative cutout of the end of your fingerboard at the soundhole area...the cardboard will protect the soundboard and area around that end of the fingerboard from the heat that you will apply!

tools:  heat gun (paint remover kind)
          small thin putty knife..with end sharpened
          even thinner!
          holding device to hold uke body in place so
          both hands are free ..one hand for heat gun
          the other for putty knife
          Apply heat with heat gun from soundhole end
          of fingerboard...try and get the putty knife
          started under the fretboard....heat and pry ever
          so slowly until fingerboard is removed.
          As you work toward the headstock...protect the
          neck from heat as best you can.

You will remove the fingerboard! You may have to sand and refinish any scorched areas or finish blemishes caused by heat. Its a hassle, but once repaired your mind will be at ease!

Hana Lima 'Ia says....ever mistake is an opportunity to learn........nuff said   laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Re: fret board alignment..
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:11pm

Thanks for the info... Ill consider my options and go from there...
Youre right, every mistake is an opportunity to learn something else... The more you know the easier hopefully it flows. Grin

Bud

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us