HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unique soundboard bracing (Read 2004 times)
jarhead122

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Unique soundboard bracing
Aug 13th, 2006 at 11:01am

Hello, I'm currently working on Uke No. 1 and decided to be creative with the soundhole.  Now that I've done it though I'm realizing that the regular bracing pattern that came with my plans may not be the right choice.  My instincts are telling me to try an x-bracing, but I thought I'd ask the experts.  Here's a pic.  

Thanks!  
~Jared
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2006 at 4:35pm by jarhead122 »  

IP Logged

Bob Uke-er

Turning expensive wood
into noise!

Chicago, Illinois
Re: Unique soundboard bracing
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 2:34pm

Yo Jarhead,
First up, your picture didn't make it through. From your description, it sounds like you used an X-brace like that found on steel string guitars (Martin-style). I'm no expert but from what I've read, the X-brace is a compromise between being strong enough to keep the body of the instrument from flying apart due to the tension in the strings and tonal quality of a too stiff top. The fan-braced and Kasha style, while not as strong as an X-brace, allow for more top flex and therefore more sound and better tonal quality. Since four uke strings don't supply anywhere near the same tension as 6 guitar strings, a more acoustic-styled bracing pattern is usually used. Bottom line tho, if it sounds good, then it is good... Congratz on #1. Dare you not to make another one...

Uker

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Re: Unique soundboard bracing
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 5:55pm

A traditional fan brace should work. Do a cross brace above & below the soundhole and then do 3  or 4 thin fanned braces extending down through the lower bout.

Did you reinforce your soundholle cut out with a patch with perpendicular grain, or better yet, a thin carbon fiber patch? You'll definitely want to do that to avoid potential breakage in that soundhole detail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us