HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
recommendations??? (Read 2167 times)
sotexuker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

recommendations???
Aug 17th, 2006 at 2:00pm

I will take the course eventually but would have extremely limited funds any recommendations on lodging, eating, even temporary work during the week would be great if possible.... any recommendations????

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: recommendations???
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 9:08am

aloha sotex....

any place in hawaii ain't cheap. Best bet for a stay would be Plumeria Court on Piikoi Street which is rented kind of like a dorm would be..shared kitchen and bathroom, but very inexpensive..a weeks stay would be like 400.00 or so...I do not have a address but will find you one....there are cheap places to eat all over the islands...under 10.00 a meal no problem...can get you breakfast for 3 or 4 bucks, lunches for 5 to 7 easy

forget about temporary work...that would be a minor miracle.   yes it does cost to stay in Paradise but it is manageable...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 8:17am

More info on the Plumeria Apartments here:

http://www.plumeriaapartments.com/

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

sotexuker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 2:35pm

i appreciate the info im am really trying to make it happen next summer

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 9:03pm

Sotexuker,

I took the Hana Lima ‘Ia class this past July and really enjoyed it. Even though I had virtually no wood working skills I left the class with a beautiful looking and wonderful sounding ukulele. The class was a fantastic learning experience that I will treasure for years. In fact, I left with the confidence that I do have the ability to build more ukuleles. In fact, I am be using the skills and knowledge that I have learned to build a guitar for my Father. One of the more important things I learned was that it doesn’t always go perfectly. Everyone in class had problems of one kind or another but we learned that almost anything can be resolved effectively. It was a great experience! The last day of class we strung them up and everyone was smiling realizing that they had indeed built a musical instrument from a pile of wood.

The best way for my wife and I to get to Oahu was using an American Airlines tour package. The total cost was less than if I had put it together myself with air and hotel and I’m in the travel business. Find someone else to go with you and share the room. You can get a bus pass for the month for $40.00 and that will take you anywhere you want to go. If you have a fridge you can keep food and drinks in it. Milk and cereal in the A.M., sandwiches for lunch, and a moderate dinner will keep the costs down. There are many tourist magazines that have lots of cost cutting coupons for restaurants and fast food eateries. It can be done!

Mike and Asa Chock are wonderful people with a wealth of knowledge and abilities that they freely share with others. They create a working and learning environment that is a pleasure to be involved in. I can only say that you should put all your focus on getting your Hana Lima ‘Ia nest egg together and attend the class.

Philip

IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 2:31pm

Philip,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Hana Lima Ia....
Also the picture is proof positive that you can build something beautiful... Very nice looking instrument...
Is it Mahogany?
It looks like Koa to me.. but I guess I betray my amature status by not being able to tell by seeing it...
My wife and I do want to do what you have done.. She is just as interested in building as I am..
We are in the process of getting our shop ready...
We dont really plan on doing this for a profession... Its more for fun....So its kinda hard to totally justify spending as much as a person needs too in order to get going.. Especially when that person or persons have no previous experience in wood or with the tools that are needed in the building..
Again Philip,. Thanks for allowing us in on your experience... its greatly encourages me to start saving..

Bud

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 7:59am

Aloha All, yo Bud, that gorgeous, outrageously curly pattern that you see on Philips mini axe is indeed Honduran Mahagany..just a special set all curly and ready to make one's smile immmediately broaden!

Jes a bit of advice: Start your uke making slowly, and only buy tools as you must. You will be surprised how little you need in the way of large purchases. All can be done with hand tools though a bit SLOWER, but hand tools are nevertheless effective. The more you do, the easier the process becomes. Sharpening your tools is the key to efective usage! Actually while taking a bit longer, using only hand tools is a great experience and cost effective as well, as Nike would advertise: "Just Do It".....aloha ukeman

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 3:51pm

Aloha

Hey Konacat,
Thats a beautiful Ukulele.
Is it curly mahogany, or is it Koa?
What ever it is, you did a great job.

Take care.
Bob Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us