HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why glue the soundboard before the sides? (Read 1956 times)
jarhead122

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Why glue the soundboard before the sides?
Aug 20th, 2006 at 6:48am

I'm at that critical juncture where I will be gluing the soundboard to the neck, bending the sides, installing the kerf ect.  I am using Spanish style and am just wondering why it is important to glue the soundboard to the neck prior to attaching the sides.  

It seems to me that to attach the sides, parallel them, install the kerf, touch up the recess and then attach the soundboard would foster a tighter fit.  Please tell me where I am wrong as I am very likely to try it this way.  

Here I go again trying to be different Grin

Thanks!

Jared

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Why glue the soundboard before the sides?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 5:57pm

aloha jarhead:

in answer to your question soundboard to neck prior to neck to sides:

Lets see if i can talk this through! Spanish style attaches neck to soundboard first to give the sides a indication of where they will be glued on to the soundboard. With the soundboard already on you accomplish 2 things: one: neck centerline alignment to centerline of soundboard and soundboard tight to neck connection ensured! Two: sides now can follow soundboard outline when gluing up.

Ok now your idea of sides to body first: a different means to the same end i suppose...I sorta do this in a newer jig....ya need to make a mold to insure that the sides to the neck fit the proper outline...the mold must be open at the neck to allow the neck and heel to get out of the way of the mold and still be able to hold the sides in shape...think hinged mold with neck openning of about 2". Once the sides and neck are in the mold you can now glue the tentalones in and the your soundboard.....so your thinking is ok though your mold and jig will have to be made to accomodate your purpose.

The molds used in the hanalima classes are super simple to make and still allows me the freedom to attach sides to soundboard /neck assembly..but yes i need 2 molds...assembly mold and mold to hold sides in shape...Your thinking needs just one mold a tad bit more sophisticated but just as accurate..I have used both ways and find that both have advantages and disadvantages.....ya need to find out for yourself what works best for you....many paths same goal...laters  ukeman

ps   actually the Hana Lima molds were designed to be made very simply with just 2x3 blocks at the waist, upper and lower bouts and tailblock...rather than a 3 ply mold cut to the entire ukulele shape along with corresponding spreaders to keep the sides tight to the mold...i do use a esoteric 2 ply mold as well that moves vertically up and down along 4 columns ..this mold is a full mold hinged at the tailblock as well as the head area with the mold cut out to allow the neck to pass thru and hinged above the mold . Yes i still glue soundboard to neck first when using this jig...but the up and down movement with the 4 columns allow me to glue in tentalones while still in the mold...sand true and install sides and tentalones to soundboard one time

IP Logged

jarhead122

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 6:12am

Thanks for the detailed response!  I'm still not sure what I'll do.  Both ways seem to make sense to me now.  I guess my main concern with gluing the soundboard first is  that it only alows for an inch or two of space to line up the centerlines which is a bit scary.  Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the way things turn out.  Thanks again!

Jared

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 9:01am

oh hey jar jar!

a quick note on the neck to soundboard line up!

Actually make a centerline down the surface of your neck piece.

Repeat a centerline down your face of the soundboard.

As you attach soundboard to neck...1st meet base of neck at slotline centerline with centerline of soundboard at neck attachment. Hold soundboard to neck with thumb and sight down tailend of soundboard to nut end of neck along the centerlines...easy to tell if off or not....if centerlines do not line up..simply remove material from soundboard edge on the opposite side of wherever your centerlines tilted to.

Long story ,short. The 2 centerlines will now give you about 22 inches of lineup   not the 2 inches you are thinking of on the neck platform.   laters ukeman

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 12:44pm

Jarhead,

I have just finished taking the Hana Lima ‘Ia July Class and have a few comments. The Spanish style was all new to me but when Mike explained its use it made sense. By attaching the neck and the top together first it allows you to accomplish several goals. First, it allows you to make a flat and tight connection between the neck and the soundboard. Second,  just as important is the ability to achieve a perfectly straight line from the top of the neck to the bottom of the sound board. By the way I highly recommend using a string pulled tight from end to end to assure the straight line. The string really helps avoid the eyes being fooled. Third, you now have flat and straight platform to attach the sides to.  As you carefully slip your sides into the neck slots the sides can bottom against the top to assure the correct location of the sides.

The truth is that you can build an instrument many ways with similar results. I can only say that I am very please with the instrument I built at Hana Lima ‘Ia. To my surprise it looks good and sounds good with very great intonation. Smiley

Best of Luck

Philip

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us