HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOP Rosette Pieces cut wrong? (Read 3922 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
MOP Rosette Pieces cut wrong?
Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:15am

I have just placed the precut MOP rosette received from Hana Lima into the channel.  I noticed that the pieces are cut such that a diamond shaped gap exists betwee each piece.  I expected the pieces to be cut such that no gap would exist between pieces.  Do I misunderstand something or did I get a bad set?

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: MOP Rosette Pieces cut wrong?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 1:54pm

Hi Likeke,
You have to sand the ends down a little, or sand one end of each piece to fit the next.  Use a sanding block, but be sure to wear a dust mask!  The shell particles are very bad to inhale.  100 grit will make quick work of the job. 

There must be some reason why the pieces are setup that way.  We do not cut the rosettes here, so I'm not exactly sure what the process is.  I'll have to check into that.
-Asa

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 4:38am

Right, I used my Dremel tool to sand them down and they now fit fine.

IP Logged

OBMIT

Ukulele Lover!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:13am

Hana Lima Ia wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 1:54pm:
Hi Likeke,
You have to sand the ends down a little, or sand one end of each piece to fit the next.  Use a sanding block, but be sure to wear a dust mask!  The shell particles are very bad to inhale.  100 grit will make quick work of the job.  

There must be some reason why the pieces are setup that way.  We do not cut the rosettes here, so I'm not exactly sure what the process is.  I'll have to check into that.
-Asa

Can you supply rosettes for soprano size ukes? I have a hana lima rosette but is way to big to put around amsoprano sized uke.

Regards

Tim

IP Logged

Quine

Any Uke Builders in St
Louis??

St Louis, MO
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:28am

Good idea OBMIT.  After cutting shell pieces a few times I realize that its much better to buy them pre-cut!!

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:37am

Likeke:

If you look around here you will find a posting with photos of how to make a jig to sand the ends of the MOP rosette pieces.  In essence it is a half circle channel routed into a board to accept the rosette blanks and you just use that as a guide to sand the ends.  Use a wood block not a hard rubber or padded block to sand.  If there is any flex in the sanding block you can get a slight rounding end instead of clean matching ends.

Don

IP Logged

ukrazy

Ukulele Lover!

Tucson
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2009 at 8:13am

I got this idea from an old Dominator post. I cut a partial rosette channel in a piece of poplar. Then cut it in half. Each half is used as a jig for sanding the ends square to each other. Works perfect. I tested the fit in another channel cut into my top plate cutoff, rather than putting them in and out of the real channel too many times. http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncle-jay/3432146918/

IP Logged

jack

Ukulele Lover!

Hendersonville, NC
Reply #7 - May 28th, 2009 at 2:10am

I did the same, making a rosette channel in a piece of scrap. I used to cut with a saw, but now use a good file, and get a good joint with just a couple of strokes.
Jack

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2009 at 1:26pm

Here is a jig I made for shaping the ends of the rosette.  I just hold the piece in place with my thumb and sand with a sanding block.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/lefty701/3.jpg

Lefty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us