HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bridge patch and Sound hole patch  (Kasha Uke (Read 4060 times)
renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Bridge patch and Sound hole patch  (Kasha Uke
Apr 9th, 2007 at 9:02am

I'm building a Tenor Kasha braced uke and I'm curious about what material I should use for the Sound hole patch... Maple? Spruce? Other?

How thick are you guys making the Bridge patch?

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: Bridge patch and Sound hole patch  (Kasha Uke
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 5:44pm

It depends on what type of soundboard you will be using.

Most of our ukes use spruce or cedar soundboards.  We match the patch material to the soundboard.  The patch thickness will be around 0.07" for the cedar and spruce.

If you're using hardwood you can still go with the spruce or cedar patches and tonebars.  Otherwise try to match your patch to the soundboard.  If you're using Maple the patch thickness will be a bit thinner, around 0.05".

Most of our uke use spruce or cedar soundboards.  If we're using a hardwood soundboard we use either cedar or spruce patches and tonebars.  The thicknesses will be around 0.06" for the cedar and spruce.  For Mahogany or Maple we can go a little thinner: 0.04"

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 1:23pm

Thanks, I'm using a spruce top.

That helps a lot, I'm using your plans. I'm a complete Uke newbie. So far it's coming along nicely, I've got the sides all bent and lined... I'm moving onto the top now...

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:44pm

Hey looking good!  Shocked   Shocked

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 6:15am

Is the soundhole patch placed with the grain direction the same as the top or perpendicular to the grain direction of the top?  Also, the plans I got for the tenor uke show a round soundhole patch, but the book show placing a rectangular patch.  Have you changed to a rectangular patch?

If I use your string anchoring system with holes drilled through the top and bridge plate, would it be advisable to use a hardwood bridge patch such as rosewood.  Most steel string guitar building sources recommend rosewood for the bridge plate, but the string tension on a guitar puts much more stress on the connect point with a steel string guitar.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 10:23pm

Aloha Don..for your questions here is my input:

re-enforcing patch material should always be perpendicular to your soundboard grain (horizontal)

Patch work can be a light and stiff hardwood like maple or thin laminations of maple or walnut glue this up cross grain to each other as well.Especially for the bridge patch, to re-enforce the strings and beads that go thru

The rectangular patch you see on standard centerhole plans are glued cross grain, after the sopund hole is cut out you will see that most of the rectangel is gone...some people in lieu of a rectangular patch simply place 2 vertical bars one on each side of the soundhole forming an H shape sanwiched between your waist and upper bout horizontal braces.

In my Kasha syled ukes I use full patched..same shape of the Kasha bridge but 1/8 inch bigger than the actual bridge or sometimes just a 1/2 patch..somply to re-enforce the string locations below the saddle.

hope this helps   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 8:11pm

Well, I took a short break and have sank back into building my first uke... I finished the binding last night (Still have a little scraping to on the binding but that can wait till finish prepping.)

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:00pm

aloha renegade...looks like ya have a very cool east indian modified kasha with the sideport lookin right nice..the double pukas should be right nice just how you got them placed....also like the fact that you have stiffened the sides with some vertical columns...good job...nice to see more kasha/schneiders out there....aloha no, ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us