HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kerfing, notched side in or out? (Read 1127 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Kerfing, notched side in or out?
May 5th, 2007 at 1:41pm

I've seen kerfing installed both ways: with the notches facing out and notches faces in.  The Hana Lima manual shows it installed with notches facing out, but notches facing in looks a lot neater in MHO.

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Re: Kerfing, notched side in or out?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007 at 11:26am

They do provide some stiffening effect for the side bends but mainly are for gluing surface to attach the top and back so it doesn't really matter which way they go.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Kerfing, notched side in or out?
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:56am

hey guys:

Kerfing is for 2 purposes...added gluing surface to the sides and top and bottom plates. And den for support when adding bindings/purflins to the edges.

if no more kerfing...and you bend your sides thin....and you like bind....when routing...most likely you will seperate the sides from the plate surface you are routing and experience a rapid heartbeat and a real bummer!This happened to me at a demonstration for binding....so sad! Took me a mnoth to repair the damage I made to sides and top!

Guys that add purflins with their binding need the kerfing reenforcement since the added purflin veneer colors make that step cut in the top plate wide..sometime almost 3/16th in from the edges of your sides....so way fatter than the actual sides...need that extra kerf support or it will separate.

Whether to place kerfings in or slots out....really doesnt matter....looks clean with kerf slots in...but for those who shape kerf lining, angled or round...that looks way cool too...so show the kerfs out!   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us