HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heel needs to be thicker (Read 1712 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Heel needs to be thicker
May 12th, 2007 at 12:00pm

I've built a couple of ukes from the tenor plans. Each time the heal ends up being about 3/32" to low compared to the sides.  I think the plans are not taking into account the lowering of the top of the heel for the top. So the plans should instruct the heel to be 2 3/4" + thickness of top. ???

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Re: Heel needs to be thicker
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2007 at 8:51pm

Yep, I agree, the same thing happened to me for the last uke I built. I saw it coming by planning ahead and doing the maths on the plans, but didn't adjust anything in the building process. I just sanded down the sides once I had joined them to the neck, to meet nice and level with the heel.

The guys at Hana Lima Ia have gotta leave something for us followers to think about in the building process. Besides, everyones individual corrections/improvements is what keeps everyones ukes individual. We wouldn't all want to be building the same thing now would we.

Another trick is the neck thickness near the heel. Should be measuring down 5/8" from the top of the neck to get the thickness, not up from the bottom of the neck blank. ie the finished neck thickness near the heel is 5/8" + fretboard thickness.

Cheers,

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:40am

ha...mahalo for the reply Matt!

actually the heel portion is also a personal area open to cool design and process.

If you make your heel height flush to your side height ,you now have the option to make your back plate cover and be the same material over your heel.So when cutting out your back outline allow enough material to cover the heel.

If the heel is shorter than the sides the options are:
add a heel cap...remember the heel cap can be of various thickneses....stacking different veneers will get you cool stripe designs.

sometimes for the artistically inclined or for the tinkerers at hana Lima I ask the students to : instead of making a heel cap to fit only the top shape of the heel...be a bit more creative and add mayhaps a heel shape that not only fits the surface of your heel but inlays also into the back plate    like an ice cream cone shape...fun and cool!

For binding guys....the heel creates a bit of a design problem too....if I'm binding how do I bind the heel? What if I am using a ebony binding with a colored veener like red below....how do we treat the heel...can not run the router on that shape. Our solution is cut your heel height to the lowest point of the binding...add the same material to the heel as the thickness of the binding...stack and glue and reshape...you will match...If its a red/ ebony binding...cut heel to red depth...add a red veneer sheet and the ebony piece to your heel and when reshaped the appearance will look like you bound the heel at the same time as your bindings.

Sooooo many variables so yes the manual has omitted this...as well as many other points as well..jes a guide..so must read between the lines   ha....laters  ukeman
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2007 at 7:35am by Hana Lima Ia »  
IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 7:39am

some examples from the gallery added...

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us