HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compensation for low G (Read 1331 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Compensation for low G
May 21st, 2007 at 7:12pm

Do I have to do anything different to the saddle if I use the Tenor Low G set of strings?

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Compensation for low G
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:22am

likeke;

using low g tunings your bass string will be thicker than the traditional high G bass string. Thick strings will stretch more to reach pitch than a thinner string.

to COMPENSATE for this stretch most custom builders angle the saddle of the uke a bit off the center axis so that the bass end of the saddle is lower than the high end ...this tilt will make the actual scale length a bit longer on the bass string but on the ist string righton the button.

This amount of compensation can be checked on a chromatic tuner by pressing the 12th fret and recording the note on the tuner.....ex.   open G on the bass string...on your 12 fret press...check with tuner...should be G too! if sharp ya need to lenghten the scale by moving the saddle back a tad. To check for compensation you press the fret space on the 12th fret...we are not checking for harmonics!

ok  laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:33am

I am using the Hana lima tenor plan so I presume that the slanted saddle per the plan adequatey compensates for the low G?  do I need to sand the front or back of the saddle where the low G string sits or am I already compensated enough? Thanks

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007 at 6:20pm

aloha likeke....use your chromatic tuner after you are strung up and see how your compensation has worked..if sharp   sand saddle under the string to make high point toward rear of saddle...if opposite sand to make high point of saddle toward front egde....nutting is cut in stone so good time to use the tuner    laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us