HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plastic Binding (Read 1519 times)
Greensman

Plastic Binding
Jun 6th, 2007 at 9:01am

Hello there.

I’m after some advice on installing plastic binding around the body of a uke.

The thinnest width plastic binding I have is ¼” wide but I want a binding width of between 1/8” to 3/16” on the uke I’m building.

Is the usual method to attach the binding, (with the ‘surplus’ sticking above the level of the soundboard), and then scrape it back, or to use a thinner width strip to begin with?

Also, if there is anybody building uks in the UK…….what do you use as an adhesive for plastic binding and where do you get it from…….(asI don't seem to be able to import it in from the US).

Very many thanks,

Pete

IP Logged

yook

It's turned out nice again,
hasn't it?

Villa Di Briano, Italy
Re: Plastic Binding
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 8:33am

Pete,
I have never used plastic for binding a uke, but I have used wood. I have used plastic for electric guitars.

I have done exactly what you are talking about. Put it on so it is proud of the body and scrape it back. The preferred method for me would be to use a cabinet scraper, but you could also use a razor blade with the edge turned over as a scraper.
1/4 inch may be a bit much to scrape, but the method is the same.
If you could thin it a bit before hand, it would probably save some work.
I have used model airplane glue and Krazy glue to glue the plastic binding to the wood (don't use Krazy glue unless you have retarter and practice). I use masking tape and rubber bands as clamps for the binding as it dries.
Check out the binding guides at Stewart McDonalds http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/A-BINDINGS.html

Good luck. Binding can be hard work, especially trying to glue and clamp and get joints to fit. Dry fit everything before gluing. Do some work with scrap first.

Gene

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 6:51am

aloha pete..a caution: do not start if your bindings really oversized...the key word would be a tad proud! If you are installing a 1/4 inch high plastic binding meant to finish at 1/8 inch, pre cut the binding to 3/16th inch prior to installation.....or be extremely careful when adhering bindings with tape or rope not to bend the over sized binding inward toward the uke body.If your bindings are a bit proud to whatever size your finish will be ...all the tight pulling from the tape or rope or what ever have you will not bend the finished binding inward and you will have a nice perpendicular installation.....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:08am

Please note that you want to sand the binding down flush to the soundboard, not the other way around.  The same goes for marker dots, rosettes, and inlay....

Regular Titebond 2 wood glue works great for installing this type of binding.  

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us