HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resawing for soundboards and backs (Read 2446 times)
unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Resawing for soundboards and backs
Jun 14th, 2007 at 8:32am

This is an "off the wall" wild idea but here goes.

I have been looking at bandsaws for resawing for back,sides and soundboard. The most plausible saw that I could find was a meat saw. It would cut boards up to ten inches wide but it would require design and building a blade support and adjustable fence to control cut-thickness.

Since I will likely only build five or ten ukes, the intelligent choice is to buy this wood from Asa or on the internet but would anybody silly enough to roll their own ukulele do the intelligent thing?

My wild and crazy idea is to build a recipricating saw. It would be designed to cut ten or twelve inch boards to deliver 1/8 inch thickness with minimum kerf. As with all of my projects, cost is an important factor if only from an ego standpoint. I believe in not reinventing the wheel so using parts of existing equipment that works (or is available free) fits in just fine with my concept.

I am open to anybody's ideas and in the remote posibility that anything works, we can let Asa post it in "Shop Tips".

Go ahead and tell me I'm crazy and why.

Bob

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Re: Resawing for soundboards and backs
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 4:44pm

Whats wrong with a bandsaw?  I have a Jet 14" with the optional 6" riser which lets me slice wood plenty big enough for guitars.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 6:58am

Likeke:
I am planning to build a few ukes until I get one that plays well. At that point I will probably quit. I do not want to accumulate excess tools in my shop to sit idle when I accomplish my goal.

At present, I have acquired a Sawzall (clone) and a twelve inch by three-quarter blade (thinish-kerf). The rest of this project involves mounting the Sawzall and jigging a blade support (much like a bandsaw foot).

Investment to date $49.

Not rushing to finish.

Bob

IP Logged

Longboat

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 8:51am

If you look around..  You could probably find an old shopsmith..  They are all over ebay, and are pretty cheap.  They are a multi-tool machine.  I inherited my Grandfather's Model 10-ER.  I have attachments to use it as a Jointer, Table Saw, Drill Press, 12" Disk Sander, Lathe, Polishing Station, Scroll Saw, drum sander, and a shaper (although, I haven't figured out how the shaper works yet).

I use it for more than I thought I would since I have stand alone tools for most of the above..  but it really gives me a sense of being with my Grandfather when I use it.  Just can't explain it, kind of like how a smell takes you back to a memory.

Mine has a footprint about 2'wide X 6' long X 3' high.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 8:22am

aloha unkabob:

yep the need and desire to resaw no doubt comes with the territory ...however ifn you do not want to dedicate space, or expense or tons of time and fustration for your yearly need of materials I would suggest purchasing a simple bow saw....cut via hand as best you can and dimension via sanders....cheap and effective.

The sawsall will be too small even with a 12" reciprocating blade..meat sas will do the trick...but need space, usually 220 power and very heavy...a 14" bandsaw with 6" riser and carter bearings will certainly do the trick...space and money! Think best bowsaw and reserve the time and effort for a thickness sander.

my nickels worth...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Longboat

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 8:26am

Another option would be to run down to your local cabinet shop and ask them if they will do it for you. 

Might cost you a couple of bucks, but shouldn't take more than 5 minutes..

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 9:00am

ukeman:
I will have to look at the bow-saw.

The carter bearings you refer to is probably the bandsaw-foot that I am thinking about. The blade would go through a fence and the movable bandsaw foot would come in from the oposite side and hold the wood steady, the same as a bandsaw.

Longboat:
What you suggest is only one of my fall-back positions. A local lumber-yard charge by the hour and that sounds pricey. There must be guitar builders in town because one lumber-yard sell ebony fretboards.

I am still in the early stages on this project but I hope to have a proto-type running by October or November or March.
My current project is a drum-sander which is coming slowly.

Summertime is more for playing ukuleles than building ukuleles.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us