HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just Finished Summer Intensive Class (Read 5285 times)
ukulele_todd

Hawai'ian at Heart

Just Finished Summer Intensive Class
Jun 29th, 2007 at 7:25pm

Aloha!

I just finished the summer intensive class. 
In a word... FUN!

Mike and Asa were great.  Friendly and laid-back.  With only 6 people in the class, we had group and personal instruction.  Mike shared his building techniques and showed us all his jigs.  No secrets in his shop! Pictures good, ya?

The class had people with different backgrounds and experience.  I don't think any of us had built an instrument before.  But we all worked at a similar pace, and helped each other out as we went along.  I think we all made a mistake or two, but Mike showed us how to repair 'em, and we all got through without much delay.

We ended up with some great looking ukes in 9 days.  [sorry, no pics yet]  With different wood selections, some cool head stocks, and creative little details to make these ukes unique. 

I highly recommend a "building holiday" for anyone who hasn't started building on their own yet.

Mahalo to Mike for the great training (and talk story)!  Mahalo Asa... go CNC man! 

Todd

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Just Finished Summer Intensive Class
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 8:26pm

I took the class last year and know what your talking about. Nice people and a lot of fun! I remember the smiles on peoples face when the ukuleles made their first sound. Everyone was amazed how good the sounded. What I learned was confidence and to not overly worry about mistakes. Thanks to what I learned I'm currently buildind a bubinga/lutz guitar and a junker soprano with a koa and  a figured  mango tenor in the works. The koa and manog both have real nice tap tones, different but very nice. One thing I learned was to be careful but to not be afraid. I have refinished my  school ukulele twice and have redone the setup several times. I had the opportunity to have 2 pro play my school ukulele recently. I wish you could have seen the face of the first one when he first played it. He was suprised at the sound, volume, and the intonation. The second one couldn't believe that my first one could sound so good. I seem to be the only one to always see the glaring problem on a small bit of the side where I sanded through to the brace. The repair is ok but to me its still stands out. I hope that anyone who reads this post and any others regarding this thread will take the leap and come to the class. Don't worry about your skills but instead have a little faith in Mike and Asa Chock. All will be well and you will end up with a nicer looking and sounding ukulele then you would have expected. Asa has worked to bring different choices in woods and I think thats great. The class is even nice now that they have closed off the instruction area. Todd, congrats on your class and enjoy your new instrument. If there is one thing that is really cool it is to show someone the ukulele and say with pride "I made this from a pile of wood". Then just smile as there are amazed.

Philip

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Hi,
I am planning on going to the summer intensive course next year.
I have never built an instrument before, and my wood working experience is almost nill.
Do you have any suggestions on how I might prepare for the class?
I am very interested learning to build Ukuleles.
Right now I am learning to play on one that is not so great, so I am very excited at the prospect of having one that sounds like it should, especially one that I made.
Has anyone purchased the Hana Lima Ia book?
I was thinking about getting it to look through before I am able to visit Hawai'i next year.

Bob Smiley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 4:00pm

yo acaboe....the book is a great place to begin with ..as it truly follows the class actual sequencing in making the ;ukulele. You will be familiar with terms, jargon, measurements and process if you take the time to go thru the book. We have several uke fanatics who learned and completed ukes from the book alone..ergo it doeswork...ok am a bit prejudiced as the book is me baby...anyhow....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:35pm

Hey Ukeman,
Thanks for the comment.

I actually just got the book yesterday, and I have started reading through it.

I have gone through the first two sessions, and I have to admit that at times I found it a bit frustrating.

I am a visual learner, and without the wood infront of me, I had to read some things multiple times.

But I think that that is only a side effect of me only rarely having done wood working ha ha.

Any way, I am very excited, and looking forward to next years summer intensive course, because I want to be first in line.

Take Care.
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us