HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first Hanalima tenor uke in Walnut (Read 1400 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
My first Hanalima tenor uke in Walnut
Jul 1st, 2007 at 5:22pm

I am pretty happy with how my 1st uke turned out.  Thanks to Asa and Ukeman for the help and the folks on this forum!  go to www.likekestrings.com and click on likeke journal to see a couple of pics.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: My first Hanalima tenor uke in Walnut
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 7:10pm

Likeke:
The results look good. What amazes me is the speed of the steps in your blog. You have obviously done this sort of thing before.

A few questions:

What wood is the soundboard and how thick/thin is it?

How does it sound?

What finish did you use?

It's great to see a plan come together, even sombody else's.

Bob

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 7:19pm

I used the walnut kit from Hanalima.  The front and back were sanded to .095 and the sides to .085.  Everything except the maple binding, the ebony peghead veneer and finish was from Hanalima. The finish is sprayed on Colortone water based lacquer from Stewmac. Grin

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 7:23pm

To answer how does it sound:  Yesterday, I held a kanikapila at my house and several experienced uke players played it.  It has good sound. The low G string is especially pronounced. The uke has great sustain and you can feel the body vibrate.  The next one will have standard tuning. I have shaved down the bracing and tone bars a bit from the plan with hopes of increasing responsiveness.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us