HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What thickness for sides, back and top? (Read 4359 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
What thickness for sides, back and top?
Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:25am

My first uke I used .095 for top and back and .085 for sides.  Can I go thinner?  Will thinner sides be easier to bend?  Will a thinner top be more resonant?  I have heard of one uke builder that thins tops to .08". Thanks

IP Logged

zac_in_ak

I Love Ukuleles!

Re: What thickness for sides, back and top?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 3:58pm

The plans I have for soprano ukes  say .09 for the top and back and .07 for the sides on a martin style 1 and the dons plans says 3/32 for all (top back and sides) thinner sides wil be easier to bend but also maybe more prone to damage because of the thickness or thinness  Grin if you arch the top you could go thinner because it will be stroger for a given thickness..hope that helps and remember I still have'nt made my first..so take it with a grain of salt.. Tongue

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 8:10am

aloha guys!

Just a bit of input on thicknesses:

for our style:

backs and sides..fairly thick...for sides: thick as I can easily bend em!  each species different thickness..

backs from .09   

Tops:  spruces and soundboard mayerials ie: cedar, spruces and redwood.....08 is a good working thickness...after boxing the entire perimeter of the soundboard mayhaps 2" from exterior perimeter uke outline is tapered via rasp or coarse sanding block to a showing edge thickness of 1/16th or less.

koa's or hardwood tops can taper to an even thinner thickness.....if you place a ruler over the top of the soundboard on edge..you should see light all around the perimeter...kind of like you are doming the soundboard around its perimeter outline.....ok  laters  ukeman

IP Logged

haoleguy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:42pm

Ukeman -
If your adding binding, do you bind first then taper the outside 2" perimeter? Or is it better to thin the top first then rout and add binding?
Rick Grin

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:03pm

Haole guy, I think you would thin first than apply binding otherwise your binding may end up varying in depth.

IP Logged

haoleguy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 7:35am

Likeke -
That's the way I was planning on doing it....thin first, then add the binding. Good point on the thickness of the binding. Thanks,
Rick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us