HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let me introduce myself (Read 7226 times)
lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Let me introduce myself
Aug 11th, 2007 at 8:13pm

Howdy,
  My name is Lefty and I live in Southern California.  I have limited experience but am really enjoying uke/guitar building.  I took a community college guitar making class.  I am in the process of putting the final finish on it.  I will try and post a few photos.

I also built a Stew-Mac ukulele kit.  What a hoot.  I am hooked.  I ordered the Hana Lima book and am just about ready to start another uke. 

Here is my first question...I don't see a lot of recent activity on the forum.  Is everyone on vacation?
  Looks like a great forum and I look forward to learning from and sharing with other uke builders.

Lefty

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Let me introduce myself
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 4:11pm

yo lefty...

for action on the forum we jes need new jacked up people like you that are jonesing on the ukulele building process and are feeding questions or showing us all cool stuff, original ideas and lots of ukulele aloha...so hope to keep hearing from you...laters ukeman

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 9:30pm

Hey Ukeman,
  I am really jonesing on the entire uke thing.  Building the Stew-mac kit really got me going.  The finished product sounds better than my Martin SO.  I have aquired some koa & mango for future builds as well as some rosette material and position markers from Hana Lima.  Gotta get my guitar finished so I can start on a tenor uke.
    I think I will be spending a lot of time here on the forum.

Here is a picture of my uke prior to the finish going on. 

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/lefty701/?action=view&current=Ukeheelbloc...

Lefty

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 2:59pm

Welcome to the forum Lefty.

We have a bit in common. I live in So. Cal. and also and enjoy ukulele building. I too have a guitar in the works that I need to finish before I can move on to my next ukulele project. You may have guessed it but I have a nice set of Koa and a nice set of Mango just waiting to go when I have time. One of my problems is I went on vacation and haven’t got back to working on the guitar. I’m spending too much time on poker right know trying to win my way into a few big money tournaments. I took the Hana Lima class last year and enjoyed it. While I was there I played in a million dollar main event that I had qualified for. My class mates were pleased when I told them that if I did well I would pay for their tuition. Unfortunately, it did not go my way at all. Oh Well, at least I brought home a nice looking and sounding ukulele thanks to Mike and Asa.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 4:24pm

Thanks Konacat,
  Wow, do you and your wife Deborah live in Riverside with two dogs?  Thanks for the warm welcome.

For you and anyone else in the Southern California area there is a great uke show at The Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad.  Check it out if you get a chance.

Lefty

Here is a link.

http://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&...

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:03pm

yo lefty...nice looking striaght grained uke photos..looking like you are almost home free and will be strummin and oickin right soon!

Best thing about ukes is that the uke people are awesome, aint no uke lover who is not a good person, uke and crappy people jes dont mesh! So this little sucker with the sweet sound, and articulate voicing is a sure pleaser. Think you can never be too goofy nor polished, too right brained or left of left cuz as long as you are making an 'ukulele whatever the end product comes to fruitation ...is always cool!   laters   ukeman

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 4:37pm

Hi Ukeman,

Thanks for the kind words.  Your right.  You can't be in a bad mood when you are playing your uke.  It's the same thing with the banjo. 
  What gets me is that lots of folks thinkall you can do is strum a uke.  I guess they have never heard Bill Tapia and the rest of the gang.
  I got my uke finished but I haven't taken any photos of it.  I can't seem to put it down long enough to take some photos.  I am gonna have to do that.

Thanks for looking,
                                 Lefty

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 4:01pm

Yo lefty,
Howzit?
Nice pic of da Ukulele. Looks like you're almost there.
I am planning on taking the summer class next summer, and I just can't stop thinking about it.
Any way, great job and keep it up.

Bob Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us