HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tailpiece/bridge combo - enough tension? (Read 1143 times)
jarhead122

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

tailpiece/bridge combo - enough tension?
Aug 19th, 2007 at 10:20am

Hi all, I'm back to building and am entering the final stages when I have to think about setup.  I've been toying with the idea of using a bridge-tailpiece style similar to the mandolin in which the bridge is unattached and the strings are attached to a tailpiece.  This would allow me much more freedom in bridge position for setup.  

There are a variety of other reasons I would rather not glue down the bridge (I don't have the proper clamps, my unconventional soundhole etc.).

My main concern though is that there may not be enough tension to secure the bridge creating a potential for it to wander.  Any thoughts on this are welcome.  Thanks,

Jared

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: tailpiece/bridge combo - enough tension?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 11:54am

aloha jar-jar

think doing your floating bridge via tailpiece connection should work fine! Mayhaps on a piece of paper you should draw the set-up that you are envisioning via a side elevation drawing from nut to saddle positioning of the floating bridge....you can adjust the break angles of both the bridge/saddle height downward to tailpiece connection as well as nek fingerboard angle and get them on paper to yer liking prior to the build out. Simple tenor length nylon string will have twixt a 45 to 54 lb. pull on a 17" scale length so me thinks you will have adequate string tension to hold your saddle /bridge just fine. That break angle between saddle height and tailpiece should be plently to hold everything in place....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Re: tailpiece/bridge combo - enough tension?
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 4:03am

To a certain point the greater the angle over the saddle the more eficiently the energy from the strings is transferred to the top. This results in greater volume and sustain. It doesn't really matter how you achieve the pressure down onto the saddle so as Ukeman said a tailpiece and floating bridge should work just fine and will of course make it rather easy to adjust intonation with bridge placement and angle. Take a look at some archtop guitar plans to get an idea of wha the angles should probably be as the neck angle will have to accomodate the height of the bridge and the tailpiece will have to be the appropriate length to make it all work. Plus it should look really cool! Please post some pics when you're done.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us