HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does any one have sheet music for a few songs? (Read 3097 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Does any one have sheet music for a few songs?
Aug 30th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Hi
I have been learning to play the Ukulele for just over a year and am unsatisfied with the Ukulele resources here in Texas.
I am interested in Hawaiian local kine songs and instrumental music.

I was wondering if anyone has the sheet music for these songs:

Jake Shimabukuro:
While my guitar gently weeps
Touch

Herb Otha ( Otha San )
Hawai'i

Mahalo for any help that you guys can give.
Bob Smiley

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Does any one have sheet music for a few songs?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 2:21pm

Acabooe:
Your request might be better handled on fleamarketmusic bulliten board.

Bob

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 6:20am

What is the Fleamarket music bulletin board?
What is the address for it?

Thanks

IP Logged

Mr_Roboto

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 1:50pm

Google "Ukulele Tabs".

CALL YOUR LIBARY and ask if they have any ukulele music books, if not, ask if there would be a charge for them to put in a request via inter-library loan and get some that way.  Alternately, do what I did.  Call them and tell them they're "nuts" not to get "Discovering the Ukulele" and D. Heaukalani's "Slack Key Ukulele".  (I also suggested "101 Three Chords Songs for Guitar, Banjo, and Ukulele" - had to recommend something I could actually play!  Grin)

Go to:  www.Chordie.com and find some tabs that will let you set the tab for GCEA (re-entrant) tuning.

Go to:  www.alligatorboogaloo.com.

Google "Hawaiian Ukulele Tabs".

Go to the UGH web site.  They've got a section of Hawaiian tabs (or they did).

Order "Discovering the Ukulele" from Amazon or BN.com.

Order "Slack Key Ukulele" (Revision 2.0) by David Heaukalani from Amazon or Google .  (Good stuff!  Just be sure you're getting the second edition...)  You can see his music videos on YouTube by searching under "UkeUncle" or "slack key ukulele".

I'd recommend "Discovering the Ukulele" if you are new to fingerstyle music, though Mr. (actually "Doctor") Heaukalani's book is very accessible.  I'd get both, before either goes out of print, and you miss out on something really good.

Finally,  I found these two sites, which provide classical and a few other types of music in tab format (downloadable):

http://www.nalu-music.com/ukulele-tablature/

www.nalu-music.com provides an inviting tour of elements of Hawaiian history related to the ukulele.   I highly recommend it to those with a taste for a hint of nostalgia.

There are quite a few tabs at:

http://www.akulele.com/tablature.html

The "Nalu" tabs are very appealing and "real" in terms of playing ability for most amateurs willing to put in some practice.  They remind me a little of D. Heaukalani's approach in his book in terms of how one plucks the strings and movement up and down the fingerboard.  The "akulele" tab finger positions can be a little challenging for beginners.  (Remember, if you can't play all four notes, two notes are better than none!   Shocked Grin)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008 at 11:17am by Mr_Roboto »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us