Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Puka Size (Read 1199 times)
Uncle_Bill

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Santa Cruz, CA
Puka Size
Sep 7th, 2007 at 1:08pm

I know if the puka is too small the 'ukulele isn't able to produce the required volume. If it is too big, the sound goes flat. How do you determine what is the correct size puka for a particular sound board or body? Is there a way to determine volume output?

Mahalo nui -

Uncle Bill

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Puka Size
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 4:06pm

aloha uncle bill....here's a thing that i use to size my pukas:

Available at Radio Shack:

Called decibel reader, got mine for around 55.00. A cool instrument that measures decibels.Here's my process.

I start with a pencil drawing of the diameter puka I like but when i making the actual puka a cut out a small version of the puka.....I place the decibel reader next to the puka, suspend the uke and tap at a constant rate at the bridge location and watch and record what the reader tells me.

I enlargen the puka by an eigth all around and do the same thing....I record what the reader tells me!

I do the same thing until the decibel reader makes a jump in decibels...Any larger then the decibel volumne will diminish..ergo this is the hole size that is right for that particular instruments construction.

Hint:  tap at same speed and force....place reader same location every time....there is always a jump in decibels at the right size puka....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 5:08pm

Undecided Hey Ukeman,
I'm making 2 Concert Kasha Ukes, what kind of decibel reading should I expect?  Also, should I take readings at both pukas? 

Murray

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Hey Ukeman--

When you adjust the sizes of the pukas, have you also checked the frequency change of the sound chamber as you enlage the holes?  From the reading I have done, as the pukas are enlarged the resonent frequency of the tap tuning should rise as per Roger Siminoff in his book The Art of Tap Tuning.  If that is the case, I assume that you size the pukas before you tap tune the uke to get the desired frequency of the uke as you have discussed in other posts.

Also, your words on using the book to guide your building is right on.  I would love to attend a uke building class in Hawaii, but summers in Hawaii don't work for me.  If an intensive 2 week class was offered in February, I would love to give it a try.  This forum is great for filling in the gaps that the book dosn't cover.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us