HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kasha best for low g or high G? (Read 1534 times)
Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Kasha best for low g or high G?
Nov 4th, 2007 at 11:42am

I was looking through some previous posts over the weekend about the Kasha bracing system, and read that the bracing design basically divides the soundboard into a bass side and a treble side. This makes sense as you have the long tone bars extending from the bridge under the bass string, and the shorter treble tone bars under the treble strings.

Does this then imply that the Kasha design will work best with a low g tuning, so that the low frequency g and c strings are driving the bass tonebars, and higher e and a strings driving the trebles, as opposed to a high g tuning where the only bass string is the c, located nearer the centre of the bridge, which leaves nothing to drive the really long tone bar?

I hope I've made sense here? Anyway, looking forward to your views,

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Kasha best for low g or high G?
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 4:06pm

Aloha Matt...I am in your camp and lean heavily toward Low G when building my Kasha/Schneiders! The design definitely favors this type of tuning...For High G thowever, there is no real detriment to the design as in reality there is no actual bass and treble dichotomy...the soundboard simple vibrates and I am sure the basses and trebles interchange. However from a pure design standpoint your thinking is the same as mine. I do use the same bridge and radial bracing for High and Low G since currently( last 5 years) have been using the universal bridge which with a moveable G string saddle I can use the same uke for both High and low G tuning...anyway..mahalo and laters    ukeman

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 4:32pm

I think I will go down the llow G path, I don't have a low G uke at the moment.

I've been looking at the modified Kasha/Schnieder plans a little more, and realised that the soundhole patch goes right over the location where the neck table (spanish style neck) attaches to the soundboard. I'm just wondering if the neck table gets recessed deep enough to accomodate the thickness of both the soundboard and the soundhole patch, or is the shape of the neck table cut out of the soundhole patch, and the neck simply recessed to accomodate the thickness of the soundboard, as per a fan braced uke?

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 4:28pm

Hi Matt, hope things are going well.  You could do it either way, but you are meant to vary the neck's table depth to the soundboard.  In this case it would be a little deeper to accommodate the patch.

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us