HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maccaferri "D" hole ukulele plans? (Read 2344 times)
pumpkin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Maccaferri "D" hole ukulele plans?
Nov 25th, 2007 at 8:30pm

Hello,
Are there any plans for a Maccaferri "D" hole available somewhere? Also, How would one go about cutting a "D" hole?
Thanks,
-Ryan

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: Maccaferri "D" hole ukulele plans?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 5:19pm

I don't think you'll find any plans available for a Maccaferri uke.  Since he exclusively manufactured plastic ukulele's they were not put together in any traditional way.

However his ukes were patterned after Martin's style O.  This is kind of the standard (soprano) uke.  The soprano kits we offer here are also patterned after the Martin style 0.  So that is a good place to start.. Wink.how to cut a 'D' hole is another interesting thing to think about.

Maybe setup 2 stops to route the half circle.  Then finish with a straight cut using another 2 stops and straight fence/guide.  

Very interesting biography on Mario Maccaferri:
http://www.vintageguitar.info/brands/details.asp?ID=59

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 5:19pm

I'd use my scroll saw. I'm toying with the idea of a sort of "rose window" soundhole (along with a side port) on my next venture.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

pumpkin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:52pm

When I said D-hole I meant that I wanted to build it like his (wood) jazz guitars, with the cutaway... you know, the ones that Django Reinhardt made famous!
-Ryan

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:01am

yo pumpkin: ya can get out the hand held keyhole and sanding shaped aids....ya can scroll saw the D-hole..ya can make a ply jig with a d-hole adjusted in size to a hand held lam trimmer with the appropriate collar guide. I use the lam trimmer with a oval template for my oval soundholes. My side hole ukes are made by tracing the oval on the side..drilling 4 quarter inch holes with in the oval outline...connecting the holes via a keyhole saw to make a diamong puka...and then with 80 or 100-grit around a 3/4 dowel..hand sand to the line....not the fastest but easily done...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 7:00pm

Take a look at this website.  Maybe these guys can give you some help.
http://www.collinsguitar.com/travelguitar.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us