Send Topic Print
Kamani wood? (Read 1969 times)
konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Kamani wood?
Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:30am

I ran across a set of kamani wood on curlykoa.com and was wondering if anyone had information or experience with this wood as I’m not familiar with it. It has been air dried for 10 years and is quartersawn. Is this a good tonewood? Does it bend and work well?

Steve Schaefer, the owner, is a nice guy and guarantees that you will like his wood. He has relocated his tonewood business from the Big Island to a 660 person town in Oregon. I had a chance to meet him and choose some koa and mango sets that look good and tap good. Now if only I could ever finish the guitar I’m building so I can build some ukuleles.  Wink

Philip

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Re: Kamani wood?
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 5:23pm

http://www.canoeplants.com/kamani.html

I'd never heard of it before so thanks for the turn on.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Kamani wood?
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 7:54am

aloha guys: Kamani is a local product here in the islands, a pretty consistant and dense hardwood very much like walnut in properties...colors are rich browns to orangey, can have dark and light sections and has excellent acousticals. Easy to work with and I'm sure you will be happy making an uke out of this wood...laters ukeman   I've got about 4 ukes out of kamani...way cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us