Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blocks... (Read 1514 times)
Impersol

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Santa Cruz, CA
Blocks...
Dec 2nd, 2007 at 3:17pm

I'm planning to cantilever my fretboard above the top.  I think that about 1/16th ought to be enough.  My question is why are the tops of the blocks glued to the ukulele top?  Wouldn't it be Ok to shape the blocks so that the glue surface is about equal to that of the kerfing done for the sides and bottom?  Would this be strong enough and wouldn't it allow just that much more resonance from the top?

Chuck

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Blocks...
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 8:09am

yo chuck....mostly, in answer to your question, is that the head blocks are there to help hold the neck to your uke body and resist the desire for the uke to fold up in half due to string tension and pull from bridge to tuners.

Bolt on, mortise tenon, dovetail or spanish style neck to body connection and construction all need some kind of brace block stablize the neck/heel to the uke body..the mortise and tenon as well as the dovetail would require a headblock as well as spanish construction ....at the point its a stabilty/construction issue.....hope this helps  laters ukeman

IP Logged

Impersol

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Santa Cruz, CA
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 11:40am

I understand the function of the head block in relation to the neck.  I'm wondering more about how much of the top of the headblock needs to be glued to the soundboard.  If the head block were tapered halfway from the rear thereby leaving one half of the headblock glued to the soundboard would that be enough tho keep the soundboard from folding up?  Has there been any experience with that?
Chuck

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:34pm

yo...standard head blocks are only 3/4 or so thick so that surface is really not a huge table for the soundboard to rest upon, however works very well and has been done for ages....spanish style has the top surface of the headblock/neck about 2 or so inches square in surface area although the thickness varies from soundhole end of 1/8 to 1/4 inch  tapered to 3/4 or so at the neck end....historically this works too! Not muck sound vibration in generated in this area of the soundboard as above and below the soundhole is normally braced with horizontaL bracings...laters ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us