HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nathan Noel's completed Kasha tenor uke. (Read 1638 times)
renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Nathan Noel's completed Kasha tenor uke.
Dec 17th, 2007 at 5:11am

This is my first tenor uke build. I completed it about 2 months ago. And thought I'd share it here since I used the Hana Lima 'Ia plans and modified them for a cutaway.
    Specs:
  • Sitka spruce top
  • East Indian Rosewood back and sides
  • EIR Fingerboard
  • EIR Bridge
  • Mahogany neck w/ Rosewood veneer
  • Curly Koa Binding
  • Gotoh tuning machines
  • K&K Hot Spot sound board pickup

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Nathan Noel's completed Kasha tenor uke.
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 8:42am

Nathan,

Beautiful work! This is a very nice looking ukulele. It is tastefully done and my guess is you were quite correct in not making it to garish. I’m sure the owner is proud of his new toy.

I know you said that the owner told you it was quite loud. Do you think it is louder than normal or just a result in perception with the sound port?

Does it seem well balanced to your ears?

What finish did you use? It looks like Tru-oil.

It appears to be a substantial neck and heal (an observation not a comment). Did the Hana Lima plans call for the sizing?

I don’t have the plans yet but I too have a Kasha planned for the future.

Great Job!

Regards,

Philip

IP Logged

renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 12:11pm

I don't know that it's that much louder than his other ukes but it cuts through other instruments nicely it does project well. The sound port definitely makes it louder for the player but it's apparent as a listener too.

It's got a nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

I used a guitar style dovetail neck joint on it. so yeah it's definitely more substantial than the spanish heel/foot style joint. The plans called for a spanish heel but I'm more comfortable in my usual steel string guitar building world.

You could probably build a lot lighter than the plans call for but you'll end up with a nice instrument either way. If i were to change anything I'd make the finger board and bridge a little thinner. They are pretty meaty for this size instrument.

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 3:58pm

Thanks for the info.  David Hurd's web site says the string pull on a 4 string tenor is about 40lbs so it allows you to build quite a bit lighter than you think. On my first I have worked on the neck several times till I'm happy with it. I'm still learning but this next year has a number of ukuleles lined up to be built. Lets hope any of mine turn out as nice looking as yours.

Regards,

Philip

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 8:14pm

Nathan.
  Looks very nice.

Lefty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us