HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Side bending machine question? (Read 2490 times)
pumpkin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Side bending machine question?
Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:03pm

Hello,
Has anyone ever built the side bending machine using the plans on this site, but used light bulbs instead of a heat blanket?

IP Logged

Doug

Illinois
Re: Side bending machine question?
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 4:14am

I am currently building one with light bulbs that looks very much like the one on this site.
Doug

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 5:42am

Pumpkin:

I think you'll find that most home hobby builders use light bulbs for heat.  The heat blanket is nice but costs a lot more than building a light bulb version.  I built my bender wide enough to handle both sides at once (at least 6 inches of hot metal).  Adding a thermometer is a nice touch to see what temperature you are getting as you bend.  Key is to go slow in clamping at the waist.  Let the heat and steam do their job slowly.

Don

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 7:12pm

Don:
I used a kettle to feed steam into the waist area for about ten minutes before I started to tighten the waist bar. I also used a towel hanging over the sides of the waist to retain the steam . Working on the kitchen stove gets tricky.

Bob

IP Logged

Matt Blacka
Junior Uke

MAKAIO Ukuleles Australia

Sydney, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 11:54am

Hi Pumpkin,

I too used a kettle for my first uke building project. I sat the kettle below my side bending form, and piped the steam straight up into guts of the bending form. The surface of the form which the sides were placed against was perforated sheet metal, which helped to spread the steam to heat all parts of the form and side.

I just took my time and had no troubles at all. Once removed from the form, the sides had very little spring back as well. I also used this method to bend four pieces of purple heart binding in one go, and had no trouble there either.

Anyway, I'm keen to see some more info posted about the light bulb method, as it sure is neater, cleaner, and safer than a kettle and steam.

Matt

MAKAIO Ukuleles, Australia www.makaioukuleles.blogspot.com

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 10:20am

I just don't have the patience for light bulbs. With a blanket you lay it on, tighten it down a bit wait  30 seconds for the steam and start the bending. Light bulbs work but make me crazy because they take so long to heat the stuff.

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Erfunden

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 8:23am

I didn't think light bulbs took that long when I soaked the wood overnight.
With mine I let it heat for ~20 minutes while I worked on something else (such as lunch) and then I popped the wood in there and tightened it down as fast as I could.
It usually took about four minutes but it would have been faster if I had had other hands to tighten more than one nut at a time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us