Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solid neck/head/heel (Read 1523 times)
plogen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Solid neck/head/heel
Dec 27th, 2007 at 2:36am

Hi all

I'm building my first uke using the Hana Lima book and plans. I will make a concert (fan braced) using birchwood for everything except the bridge and fretboard. The reason for using birch is simply because i have a lot lying around, so I won't spoil anything expencive if I fail... And I kind of like the idea of using what we have here in scandinavia, instead of importing exotic woods. And now... the question.

I have found a nice piece of quartersawn wood that is big enough to make the whole neck with head and heelblock. I wonder if there will be any problems with the 15 degree angle if it isn't glued. I understand there will be some endgrain on the head, but I will cover that with a veneer, so it will not be a finishing problem. But will it be strong enough?

Anders
in Sweden

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Re: Solid neck/head/heel
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 8:41am

God Jule Anders!

I would think that you need to compare the hardness or stiffness of Birch to Mahogany in order to answer that question.  If Birch is a match or greater, there won't be a problem.  The only real issue would be in the sound.  I've never heard of birch being used for a soundboard.  You can tell us about that when you're done.

IP Logged

plogen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 10:05am

Merry christmas!

I found some data of birch/mahogany. Check it out:

Birch
Density:  640 kg/m3
Modulus of elasticity: 14 GPa
Hardness: 4,5 kN

Honduran Mahogany:
Density: 500 kg/m3
MOE: 8,8 GPa
Hardmess: 3,1 kN

Seems pretty good for the neck?

When it comes to the soundboard I will try to make it as thin as i possibly can. But I donĀ“t really expect it to sound amazing. I'm making it to learn the process. I have some really nice spruce and aspen (populus tremula) drying for coming ukes. But for now, I'll try the birch...

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 7:25pm

Plogen:
I am looking at using birch for fret-board and bridge. Your numbers make it look better than I had expected.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us