HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jointing Tops and Backs (Read 2244 times)
Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Jointing Tops and Backs
Jan 2nd, 2008 at 4:27am

Hi, Trying to show piccture from Photobucket, to see iget advice on my method.  Not sure if picture is posting.

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Re: Jointing Tops and Backs
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 4:30am

OOOPS!

Obviously not working.  My grammars not so hot either.  Can somebody give me advice?  On the picture, of course!

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 4:48am

Third times a charm.

I routed the soundboard for a mahogany tenor on this jig and it worked good.  The two pieces were set up to be trimmed off 1/32" by overhanging the edge of the router bit groove in the table.  I just had to make sure I pushed the router at a slow and steady pace.  Has anyone used this method on more figured material?  I am suspecting it may cause tear out.  Possibly could be prevented by pushing the router the router from right to left to do a climb cut?  Curious to find out if anyone has experimented with this.

Thanks,
Mark
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/Mark_Schrier/Ukulele/eIMG_0004.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/Mark_Schrier/Ukulele/eIMG_0007.jpg

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 8:59am

Mark:

It looks like you jig is sitting on your table saw.  Why didn't you just rip the edges to straight and then use PSA sandpaper on the saw table and use the fence for a vertical reference to get a smoothe sanded edge?

To attach pictures, follow the instructions for "How to post pictures to the Message Board" on page 2 of the Ukulele Hints.  For Photobucket, use the Direct Link option.  Leave a couple of blank lines before adding the pictures so the link shows up by itself.  The use of preview is a great hint -- it lets you see if the link worked.  If not, just close the window and no harm done.  If you got it right, the picture/s will be nicely posted in the message.

I like your use of canned goods as weights.

Don

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 7:38pm

Mark,
  I say if it works for you go ahead and do it.  I tried it and didn't have much luck.

I was having trouble with a black acacia set.  My super sharp plane seemed to be making matters worse.  I ended up useing a shooting board, like I used with the plane, but with a large sanding block with 80 grit paper.  It worked great.  Hit it again with 150 grit and glued it up.  It took longer than a plane would have but I got a real nice joint.

Lefty

IP Logged

rcelley
Junior Uke

Because I like to say,
"tricky wicky wacky woo."

central minnesota, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 10:27am

Maybe I'm just sticking my neck out here but I'm gonna say that working with stock as thin as on ukes means that no matter what method you use it will be somewhat a 'feel' method. Use a joiner, use a saw, use a shooting board and hand plane, use paper, heck fire just chew at the edge a while. Whatever works works because the individual feels confident and in control of the tools and so it comes out right, or right enough. that's why they call it 'HAND'-crafted and that's what makes it special each time. Aloha Smiley

Rich Celley
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us