HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about a 5 string Ukulele (Read 3030 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Question about a 5 string Ukulele
Jan 13th, 2008 at 5:28pm

Is it true that a 5 string ukulele is tuned
low G
High G
C
E
A

If not, would someone be able to tell me how they are tuned?
Thanks
Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Re: Question about a 5 string Ukulele
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 9:07am

Bob,

Frankly, I think you can make your 5th string a double of any other string. I believe the most common would be a double C or A string but you find G also. You just run second string one octave lower along the existing string. David Hurd and Mike Gleason have made models with double G and Joe Souza at kanile’a offers both A and C double courses on their 5 strings.

Philip

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:18am

Thank you Phillip,
You see, my problem is that I own a high G ukulele, and some of the songs that I want to learn are played on a low G.
I was thinking that I could just make my own double G 5 string, and then I could play what ever songs I want without having to mess with a universal bridge, or having two ukuleles that I play often.
This way I can just have one instrument.
Thanks for the reply, it really helped me to decide to move forward with that plan to make a 5 string.
Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:47am

Bob,

Now that I understand what you are looking for there may be another answer. John Mayes, and now others, have produced ukuleles with a split saddle so you use both low and high G on the same ukulele. You have a small movable saddle for the G string and a solid saddle for the other strings. Just move the saddle forward or back for high or low G (string change too). The object of the low G is to extend your range of notes. Although I have never heard a double octave G 5 string I'm not sure it will give you what you are looking for sound wise. These are just my thoughts on subject not facts. Here is a photo for one John made and you can see the two G string slots for the saddle placement.

Philip

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 10:01am

Dear Phillip

I think I understand now.
After looking at the pic you posted it is more clear to me.
So the small G saddle can just pop out and move depending on what you want to play?
Thats cool.
So you don't think that a double G 5 string would work?
Do you think there would be a problem with the intonation, or something like that?
I am new to ukulele making, so I am still just learning about the principals behind the techniques.
The idea I was going on, is that with a double G 5 string, it would be like having 2 instruments right there in front of you.
I was thinking you could just play without having to change strings, bridges, or ukuleles.
O well, it is a learning process, and I am still finding out new things every day.

By the way, I saw the pic of the ukulele you made at Hana Lima Ia, and I have to say that it is a work of art.
I am going to the summer class this year, and I am really excited.
In the mean time I am trying to build an ukulele from the ukulele construction manual alone.
It is so that I can get a feel for the processes, I doubt it will be playable, but here's hoping.

Mahalo for your comment Phillip
Bob

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 10:03am

Oops

I just noticed I have been spelling your name wrong Tongue
Sorry

Thank you Philip for your comments
Bob

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

my playing is my singing

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Bob,

Not a problem.  My opinion is that if you want the range that the low G gives you then you will probably want the lower notes to ring clear and not have to fight with the high G to be heard.

As for ukuleles I have more knowledge than experience. I have 2 under my belt and a 90 % of a real nice guitar. However, I have enough wood for about 8 instruments that I will try to build later this year. Right now my focus is on finishing the guitar and playing poker. I’m scheduled to play at the World Poker Tour event at Reno in March.  I will be trying to win my way from a lead in tournament into the main event since I can’t afford $10,000.00 entry fees.

Here is a link to some info when you go to the class. http://www.hanalima.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=search2Feel free to ask any questions to the forum or to me personally regarding the class. I’m sure everyone will be happy to help even if you are from Texas. Grin   My Father is from Texas and I still have family in different parts even Amazin Walter on South Padre Island (amazinwalter.com).

You will have a great time at the class but it will be a lot of work. In the end, regardless of any difficulties, you will have a big smile on your face when you string it up and hear those first lovely notes from an instrument that you created.

Here is a link you might like to look at  This is a blog by PJ Murray about his experience at the same building class I took. It's interesting and he did take a number of photos. http://mistermurray.blogspot.com/

Philip
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008 at 9:17am by konacat »  

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 1:53pm

Thanks for all of your advice and help Philip.
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us